Admission Requirements - Engineering, MSE
The School of Engineering welcomes motivated and intellectually inquisitive graduate students who desire to deepen their professional education in engineering.
Candidates in our graduate program are expected to obtain academic and program advice from the faculty and to make use of program flexibility in selecting options that further their professional objectives.
Candidates can be admitted to the program in any semester.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley
- For those whose native language is NOT English, either the Official TOEFL or IELTS score report. Only original score reports will be accepted.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80 or better
International English Language Test System (IELTS): 6.5 or better
In addition to the University requirements of admission, all students seeking a degree for the Master of Science in Engineering must also meet the following requirements:
- Grade point average of 3.0 (B), or higher, on all undergraduate coursework. Additional evidence can be presented in the form of high scores on the GRE test, though this is not required. For students graduating from a program in the United States (U.S.) the program must be accredited by ABET.
- International students must also submit GRE scores, which must be satisfactory, independently of their cumulative undergraduate GPA.
- Personal statement detailing academic preparation, background experiences, and professional, educational and career goals. This statement should be a one to two page essay detailing an applicant's career plans and academic goals. International applicants are requested to add a one to two page essay on the following topic: “What will I do to bring cultural and international perspectives to Grand Valley that will enhance the learning environment for the entire GVSU community?”
- Recommendations: Three recommendations received. You can provide the emails of three references in your GVSU application account, and they will be sent a link to fill out for their online recommendation. Three confidential letters of recommendation must be received from informed sources, such as current and/or former professors and supervisors. These letters should address the applicant’s academic skills, analytical and problem solving abilities, professionalism, maturity, integrity, and potential for success in graduate studies.
- Whereas early applications are encouraged, no application deadline is imposed. Each application is evaluated immediately after it is complete
- Candidates should have a base of underlying knowledge relevant to graduate study in the chosen area of focus. This can be demonstrated by previous academic records or relevant work experience. Consultation with the Graduate Program Director may be necessary to verify the appropriateness of work experience as a substitute for academic preparation
- Once admitted to the M.S.E. program, students are expected to demonstrate initiative and teamwork, and to devote sufficient time to complete the work assigned in each course. They must be willing to imaginatively and creatively engage academic challenges. Although the demands are rigorous, the results are exciting and rewarding. Students are expected to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times
Interested in learning more or enrolling?
E-mail the Director, call us at (616) 331-6750 or apply online.