In addition to the University requirements of admission, all students seeking degree, endorsement, approval, license or certificate change must meet the Master of Education (M.Ed.) Admission Criteria, and be formally admitted to graduate study.
A maximum of six graduate credits earned prior to graduate admission may apply to degree requirements.
Requirements for consideration of admission into the program are as follows:
- Application Materials: Graduate application, application fee, official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities attended, and copies of teaching/administrative certificates if required for program admission or approved waiver
- Recommendations: Three professional or academic recommendations on COE recommendation forms, addressing the candidates potential for graduate study
- ONE of the qualifications below -
- Grade Point Average: Grade point average of 3.0 or better for the last 60 credits of undergraduate work taken from a regionally accredited institution - OR -
- Previous Masters Degree: A prior masters degree from a regionally accredited institution will be accepted in lieu of the minimum grade point average.
College of Education (COE) Requirements
Additional COE Requirements
Alternate School of Education Criteria
Candidates who possess neither the grade point average nor prior masters degree may pursue either or both of the following options:
- Graduate Record Examination: Candidates may submit test scores from the Graduate Records Examination General Test. Official test scores should be sent directly to the Grand Valley State University, Admissions Office.
- If you took the test prior to August 1, 2011, your scores must be at least 760 (360 Verbal, 400 Quantitative) and 3.5 on Analytical Writing.
- If you took the test on or after August 1, 2011, your scores must be at least 282 (144 Verbal, 138 Quantitative) and 3.5 on Analytical Writing. .
- Graduate Performance: Candidates who earn a 3.00 grade point average or better for the first 6 credits of the approved planned program may submit a request for reconsideration. The request should be accompanied by copies of the GV transcript or grade reports and a copy of the approved planned program, and submitted to Grand Valley State University, College of Education, Student Information and Service Center, 301 W. Fulton, Suite 101, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.