- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (waived if you have previously applied to Grand Valley and paid the fee)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley
- For those whose native language is NOT English, either the Official TOEFL or IELTS score report. Only original score reports will be accepted.
MA in English Program Requirements
Requirements for consideration of admission into the program are as follows:
- A completed graduate application
- Satisfactory GRE scores (general tests only)
- A writing sample. The ideal writing sample will reflect the applicant's ability to produce a fully-developed literary-critical argument, including close reading, analytical thinking, and fluent writing. Although applicants usually submit a paper of at least 8-10 pages demonstrating an effective use of scholarly sources, the writing sample need not meet this description at all points for the application to be considered.
- A brief statement of purpose. The statement of purpose should be approximately 250 to 500 words explaining your academic preparation, interest in this program, and professional goals.
- A maximum of 9 graduate credits earned prior to graduate admission may apply to degree requirements.
Applications are considered throughout the year, and students may begin the program at the start of any term (Fall, Winter, or Spring/Summer).
Page last modified February 3, 2014