Educational Specialist in Leadership, Ed.S.
Educational Specialist in Leadership Overview
Grand Valley State University’s educational specialist in leadership degree builds upon the master’s degree to prepare future leaders who are well-equipped to deal with the complex challenges of an ever-changing educational environment.
About the Ed.S. Degree
The Ed.S. program is offered through Grand Valley’s College of Education and offers candidates the opportunity to expand their knowledge, skills, networking, and career opportunities. In addition, it makes for an excellent transition to an Ed.D. program.
- Career-oriented. The program's meaningful clinical experiences, case methods of teaching, and pragmatic curriculum are geared to the specific knowledge and skills required by district leaders and superintendents at different career stages.
- Flexibility. Evening, weekend, and summer classes make it easier for teachers and administrators to plan their schedules.
- Convenience. Courses are offered primarily at the L.V. Eberhard Center and the Richard M. DeVos Center in downtown Grand Rapids. Cohorts are also formed in northern, eastern, and southern Michigan.
- Accreditation. Grand Valley State University’s College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Service. Our full-time student services office offers expert advising, program planning, field placement, and more.
The Ed.S. degree is 30 credit hours, divided into three components: 18 hours in the degree area, nine hours in cognates, and a three-hour culminating experience which is designed to apply the knowledge, skills, and dispositions acquired throughout the program in an internship/practicum during which candidates conduct action research and prepare a portfolio.
- Ed.S. in Leadership
- Grand Valley State University/Eastern Michigan University Cooperative Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. in Educational Leadership – educational leadership emphasis
- M.Ed. in Educational Leadership – special education administration emphasis
Graduate applications for admission are available online. The university application fee is waived for undergraduate alumni of Grand Valley.
Grand Valley offers an excellent education at a reasonable cost and a number of ways to finance your graduate degree. College of Education students may be eligible to receive a Federal TEACH Grant of up to $4,000 per year.
Page last modified March 4, 2011