Grand Valley State University’s (GVSU) Clinical Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) program utilizes the Physical Therapist Centralized Application System (PTCAS) for the application process. Please refer to www.ptcas.org to get general information about the PTCAS process. GVSU specific information is posted on the PTCAS website. Students may begin applying when the application portal opens on July 1, 2013.
All application and supporting documents for PTCAS and GVSU have a receipt deadline of October 15. It is strongly recommended that applicants submit application materials 4-6 weeks prior to October 15 to allow for PTCAS processing time.
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree.
Completion of Prerequisite courses. All prerequisites must be taken for letter grades, earning a C or higher. The prerequisites and undergraduate degree must be completed by the first day of classes of the professional program.
Prerequisite Course GVSU Course Equivalent Introductory biology (that includes cellular structure and function) with lab BIO 120 Anatomy with lab BMS 208 & 309, strongly preferred Physiology with lab BMS 290 & 291, strongly preferred Anatomy & Physiology I & II may substitute for the above 2 requirements BMS 250 & 251 Exercise physiology MOV 304 College algebra or trigonometry or calculus MTH 122 or 123 or 125 or 201 Statistics STA 215 Two sequential courses in physics with lab PHY 220 & 221 Introductory psychology PSY 101 Lifespan developmental psychology PSY 364 Introductory sociology or social problems or cultural anthropology SOC 201 or 205 or ANT 204
- Communication and interpersonal skills. On-site interview may be required. Practice interviews for GVSU student and alumni are available by contacting Career Services.
- Ability to perform all Essential Functions of the physical therapy program.
PTCAS Admission materials
- PTCAS online application.
- Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended. Students must have a minimum average GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in prerequisite course requirements, and a 3.2 overall GPA to be considered for admission.
- Official results from the GRE general and written test (Graduate Record Exam). Subject tests are not required. GRE scores must be sent directly to PTCAS using the PTCAS GVSU GRE code 0282
- Two recommendations. Submit the names and email addresses of your two references on the PTCAS electronic application. Your references complete and return the electronic form directly to PTCAS. A licensed physical therapist with whom you have worked / job shadowed / volunteered must complete 1 of the 2 recommendations. The deadline for receipt is October 15.
- PTCAS application fees.
- Documentation of volunteer / work / job shadow PT hours on the PTCAS application. A minimum of 50 hours of observational experience in physical therapy is required at the time of application. The experience may be volunteer or paid. Observational experience in a variety of clinical settings is valued. Examples of clinical settings include in-patient, out-patient, extended care, and school. GVSU does not require students to submit PTCAS Verification forms.
- Educational, professional, leadership, scholarly and volunteer activities. These are valued and taken into consideration in the admission consideration process. All activities should be documented on the PTCAS application.
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Original or certified original transcripts.
- Official TOEFL test score. Minimum of 610 (paper-based) or 253 (computer-based) or 102 (internet-based) required.
- Statement of financial support (refer to GVSU Physical Therapy Supplemental Form).
- Official credential evaluation (WES, ECE).
Page last modified March 17, 2014