Student Success stories.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley
- For those whose native language is NOT English, either the Official TOEFL or IELTS score report. Only original score reports will be accepted.
In addition to the University requirements of admission, all students seeking a degree for the M.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology must also meet the following requirements:
- Grade point average of 3.0 (B) from all undergraduate coursework
- Satisfactory score on the GRE (see Considerations below if not yet taken the GRE)
- Resume detailing work experiences and accomplishments
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives
- Recommendations: Two professional or academic recommendations received online, addressing the candidate’s potential for graduate study completion. You will provide the emails of two references in your account at www.gvsu.edu/gradapply, and they will be sent a link to fill out for their online recommendation
NOTE: Students applying for the Research Thesis need to have been accepted by a faculty member before admission, therefore materials need to be submit ted promptly to allow time to circulate to the faculty.
Applicants for the Professional Science Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology must have an underlying base of knowledge relevant to graduate studies in the Medical Informatics or Bioinformatics fields. This knowledge can be demonstrated by previous academic study or work experience. Consultation with a program faculty advisor will be necessary to verify appropriateness of work experience as a substitute for academic preparation.
If you have not yet taken the GRE, a conditional admission is possible.
See the Transfer of Credit portion of the Graduate Admission section of the GVSU catalog for general provisions. If a candidate wishes any courses taken prior to admission to the Master of Science in CMB program to be counted towards the required credits, the request must be made at the time of application. The decision to allow credits to transfer will be made by the CMB Graduate Program Committee and the student's Graduate Committee Chair.
Alternate Admission Procedure
Admission to the M.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology status may be full or conditional; conditional admission may be granted to applicants with deficiencies in their background.
Candidates without sufficient relevant background experience may satisfy any deficiency with appropriate graduate or undergraduate courses, as recommended by a faculty advisor in the program and approved by the Medical and BioInformatics Admissions Committee and the Program Director.
When identified deficiencies are satisfactorily met, the applicant will be granted full admission to the program. Applications for admission will be reviewed as they are submitted.
Page last modified January 27, 2014