Requirements for Michigan resident and non-resident, and international students.
There are prerequisites to the Master of Science in Biostatistics program. Please review before applying to ensure that you meet the requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: SAS experience and STA 216 is required (or its equivalent at another university). Very good performance in this intermediate statistical technique course is required. Good performance in some combination of other undergraduate courses is generally needed also (eg. courses in experimental design, regression such as GVSU's STA 315 and 321). We recommend as many undergraduate statistics courses as possible.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley
- For those whose native language is NOT English, either the Official TOEFL or IELTS score report. Only original score reports will be accepted.
In addition to the University requirements of admission, all students seeking a degree for the MS in Biostatistics must also meet the following requirements:
- Grade point average of 3.0 (B) from all undergraduate coursework or a satisfactory score on the GRE
- Resume detailing work experiences and accomplishments
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences, including an explanation of how this program will help achieve educational and professional objectives
- Recommendations: Two professional or academic recommendations received online, addressing the candidate’s potential for graduate study completion. You will provide the emails of two references in your account at www.gvsu.edu/gradapply, and they will be sent a link to fill out for their online recommendation
- Prerequisites: Here is a list of prerequisites to the Master of Science in Biostatistics program
Applicants for the Professional Science Masters in Biostatistics must have an interest in working with Statistics in the Health Science fields. Along with this interest, applicants should have knowledge in academic areas, such as Statistics, Mathematics, or Biology. This knowledge can be demonstrated by previous academic study or work experience.
Consultation with a program faculty advisor will be necessary to verify appropriateness of work experience as a substitute for academic preparation. A base in Statistics, Mathematics, or Biology is preferred; however, the Professional Science Masters in Biostatistics is open to any undergraduate experience such as Psychology, Business, Engineering, Economics, and Education. Candidates without sufficient relevant background experience may satisfy deficiencies with appropriate graduate or undergraduate courses, as recommended by a faculty advisor in the program and approved by the Biostatistics Admissions Committee and the Program Director.
Page last modified January 27, 2014