Ralph W. Hauenstein
Ralph Hauenstein has been the president of Hauenstein Enterprises since 1980. Between 1933 and 1937, he was a member of the editorial staff of Grand Rapids Press –United Press International. In 1937, Ralph became city editor of the Grand Rapids Herald. During World War II, Ralph served as chief of the Intelligence Branch (G-2) at the headquarters of the European Theater of Operations; rising in the ranks to colonel by 1944. Following the War, he became president of Tri-Continental Trading Co in NY. In 1968, Ralph was named chairman of Werner Lehara Corporation of Grand Rapids –a position he held until 1980. He was appointed to President Eisenhower’s Advisory Committee in 1960. His philanthropy has benefited a variety of organizations devoted to medical research and to education. At Grand Valley State University, his generosity made possible the founding of the Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies, whose mission is to inspire a new generation of leaders devoted to public service.
Back to Foundation Leadership.