Geography and Planning
Field of Study: Geography and Planning
Office: B-4-203 Mackinac Hall
GPY 235 World Regional Geography
GPY 300 Research Methods in Geography and Planning
GPY 355 Geography of Southwest Asia (The Middle East)
GPY 495 Senior Thesis
Areas of interest: drought in Africa, international development, land use/cover change, GIS, remote sensing, Africa, Middle East
Ph.D. Geography, Michigan State University. M.S. Resource Development, Michigan State University
Professor Cole's Publications
- Ouedraogo, I., P. Savadogo, M. Tigabu, R. Cole, P.C. Oden, and J.-M. Ouadba. 2011. Trajectory Analysis of Forest Cover Change in the Tropical Dry Forest of Burkina Faso, West Africa. Landscape Research, 36(3): 303–320.
- Ouedraogo, I., P. Savadogo, M. Tigabu, R. Cole, P.C. Oden, and J.-M. Ouadba. 2009. Is Rural Migration a Threat to Environmental Sustainability in Southern Burkina Faso. Land Degradation and Development, 20: 217-230.
- Cole, R. 2008. The regional representation of Africa in undergraduate geography of Africa textbooks, 1953 to 2004. Journal of Geography, 107(2): 61-74.
- Cole, R. and H. J. de Blij. 2007. Survey of Subsaharan Africa: A Regional Geography. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cole, R. 2006. Africa's Demographic Momentum, 1950 to 2100: The Africanization of the World? Umoja, 1(1): 11-20.
- Lioubimtseva E. and R. Cole. 2006. Uncertainties of climate change in arid environments of Central Asia.In R. R. Stickney, (ed.)Reviews in Fisheries Science, 14(1-2): 29-50.
- Cole, R. 2005. What is Africa to me? The regional representation of Africa in undergraduate geography of Africa textbooks, 1953 to 2004. Bulletin of the Ghana Geographical Association, 24: 13-36.
- Lioubimtseva, E., R. Cole, J. M. Adams, and G. Kapustin. 2005. Impacts of climate and land-cover changes in arid lands of Central Asia. Journal of Arid Environments. Volume 62(2): 285-308.