Upper Division Requirements
If you started attending GVSU before Fall 2014, this is how you fulfill your Upper Division requirements:
- You can choose 2 Issues courses, 1 Issues course and 1 Themes course, or 2 Themes courses.
- Themes courses are not listed in the 2014-15 Handbook. However, returning students may still take Themes courses to fulfill their Issues/Themes requirements. Click here to see the descriptions of available Themes courses.
- You must choose courses from 2 different disciplines (e.g. AAA, ANT).
- If a course is crosslisted in 2 disciplines (e.g. AAA/WGS), your second course must come from a third discipline.
- Only 1 course can be taken at the 100 or 200 level.
- Issues courses must be taken at GVSU.
- Issues courses have a junior standing prerequisite. For class standing, a junior is defined as a student who has earned 55-84 credits. For prerequisite checking, a student must have completed or will have completed at least 55 credits prior to taking the course. However, they can register for the class while the final credits are in progress.
- Please refer to FAQ for returning students for more information.
If you first attended GVSU in 2006 or earlier and are returning, the catalog under which you started is no longer valid and you must choose a new one.
- If you choose a catalog from 2014-15 or later, you can only use the Issues option.
- If you choose a catalog from 2013-14 or earlier, you can use the Themes/Issues option.