19th Annual Fall Conference on Teaching and Learning
August 21, 2013
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Location: Eberhard ConferenceCenter
More Information: http://www.gvsu.edu/ftlc/ftlc-...
Eberhard Conference Center
Changing Paradigms: Engaging Students in New Learning Spaces and Contemporary Contexts
From recent scholarly endeavors and our own experiences, our collective understanding of what it means to teach and what it means to learn has changed. For example, from the expanded use of virtual classrooms to the growing body of evidence supporting the benefits of collaborative learning, we are challenged to think in new ways about the role of the teacher and the learner in higher education. Where, when, and how learning takes place in this changing landscape requires the “community of diverse, committed scholars engaged in collaborative, lifelong learning” found at GVSU.
The 19th Annual Fall Conference on Teaching and Learning celebrates the addition of an innovative new learning environment on the Allendale campus - the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons. Come learn about the art of the possible for engaging students in their learning, in new ways, and in these new spaces. Keynote presentations and concurrent sessions led by faculty will highlight:
- Designing learning experiences that foster “deep” learning (higher-order, integrative, and reflective learning)
- Learning environments beyond the traditional classroom
- Fostering peer-to-peer learning and creative collaboration
- Engaging students in the responsible use and creation of information
- Guiding student learning effectively in virtual and face-to-face environments