The Civic Engagement initiative at GVSU strengthens our commitment to community-based and democratic learning. We support faculty interested in either exploring or strengthening their community-based learning (CBL) pedagogy, we sponsor faculty learning communities around the topic, provide grant funding opportunities for community-based teaching projects, offer individual consultations on CBL course development, project integration and mutuality, and provide on-demand workshops. Direct inquiries to Patty Stow Bolea, Pew FTLC Faculty Fellow.
During 2016-17, Pew FTLC will support the Civic Engagement Initiative through the following events:
- Community Based Learning Colloquia Series (Winter 2017 details) (Fall 2016 details)
- Community Engagement: What and Why
- Course Design for Community Based Learning
- Preparing Students for Community Based Learning: Personal, Professional and Civic Readiness
- CBL: Surviving the Integration of Teaching Research and Scholarship
- Developing and Sustaining Partnerships
- Evaluating Community-Based Learning: What is Success?
- IRB & Community Engagement at GVSU
- Faculty Learning Community: Civic Engagement
- This group is working together to create civic engagement student-learning outcomes for GVSU
- On Demand Workshops: GVSU CBL Designation: Course Design for Community Based Learning
- Civic Engagement Lecture Series:
- The Role of Public University in Democracy
- What is Liberal Education?
- Public Art in Civic Engagement