The Grand Valley State University’s Family Owned Business Institute’s mission is to champion and serve family owned businesses through education, research and advocacy.
The creation of the Family Owned Business Institute at Grand Valley State University is born out of the collective belief that family businesses (large and small) are the cornerstone of a community’s prosperity and a vital ingredient in its quality of life. Our national and regional history has demonstrated that it is in the best interest of communities to foster the creation, growth, and continuation of family owned businesses because they and their members:
1. Conduct an annual Summit for FOB leaders.
2. Conduct the annual survey, in 2015 the focus will be innovation.
3. Conduct a study that shows the economic and philanthropic impact of family businesses in West Michigan.
4. Continue to offer MGT437 Family Business and possibly create a new course on family business case studies-strategy.
5. Create the FOBI Scholar in Residence and increase the family business research with FOBI and Seidman faculty.