Film and Video Production
FILM/VIDEO MAJOR PRODUCTION GRANT
FALL 2013 Deadline: Friday, October 4, 5:00 pm - 290 LSH
WINTER 2014 Deadline: Friday, February 7, 5:00 PM - 290 LSH
- To support production of film, video, audio, computer-generated media, or any combination of these.
- May not be used to purchase equipment, but may be used to purchase software/memory (graphics tablets for animation are eligible equipment expenses, however).
- Individuals or groups may apply.
- Must be for credit, as part of class.
- Amount requested should be $100-$1,000. Funds are limited.
- Past grantees must have shown evidence that they completed their earlier project(s) by deadline and exhibited earlier projects.
- STUDENTS FROM ALL AREAS OF EMPHASIS IN FILM/VIDEO ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- This grant is for actual expenses. You will be reimbursed for your expenses and will not receive a cash advance.
- All awardees must see Deborah Barko in the SOC office in order to properly submit receipts.
- Fall semester application deadline is on the first Friday in October, 5pm in 290 LSH
- Winter semester application deadline is on the first Friday in February, 5pm in 290 LSH
- Completion of funded projected is required within 6 months of announcement of award.
- Must be exhibited publicly.
- Full/part time student majoring in Film & Video
- In good standing
See a sample of a previous successful application here (pdf).
Include the following in your application. Incomplete applications are not likely to receive funding.
- Introductory Materials: Your name(s), contact information, funds requested
- Title and approximate running time.
- Medium, including format.
- Mode/style (documentary, experimental, etc.)
- Concept/theme (1-2 sentences)
- Is the application for a complete project or one or more segment(s) of a larger project?
- Rationale (why should this idea be supported by a grant?)
- Treatment/scenario/storyboard (1-3 pages).
- Submit a full screenplay if requesting production funds for a fictional narrative.
- You may include flow charts or anything else that will help us understand your plans.
- Detailed budget (important: indicate which portion you are requesting the production grant for, and which portion you are providing funds for.)
- Each item's cost x # of days = total cost.
- Sample(s) of past work, with statement about how the work is relevant to the proposed project (DVD or link to online version)
- Timetable for proposed project's completion.
- Projected need for SOC equipment.
- Defense of project's feasibility. How you plan to complete the project, given constraints of experience, time, money and equipment.
- Highest priority for funding will be given to those needs that directly enable the completion of this particular project, e.g. equipment rental, tape/film stock, construction materials, costuming, etc. Graphics tablets and software are eligible as long as project demonstrates a real need for their purchase.
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
ELECTRONIC: BLACKBOARD Film & Video Production Organization (see Applications page)
PRINT: SCHOOL OF COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
"ATTN: FILM/VIDEO PRODUCTION GRANT"
290 LAKE SUPERIOR HALL
(Must be submitted by 5:00 PM on the deadline date)
RECENT PRODUCTION GRANT RECIPIENTS
Fall: Brian Gotberg (Non-Fiction - The Hart of Michigan), Godwin Jabangwe (Narrative - Kill Me…a LITTLE), Jamie Bartkowicz (Narrative - The Midnight Marauders), Natalie Phillips (Experimental - Dancing the Roomba Pt. 1)
Christina and Stephanie Choriatis (musical narrative – You Rascal You), Michael Johnson (fiction – The Underdog) , Natalie Phillips (experimental – Mapping in the Other Views), Jackson Ezinga (fiction - Tipi)
Brad Alonzo (fiction – Wise Words), Jess Kean (fiction – Love Muffin), Casey Burr (fiction – Seth & Beth)
Andrew Zimmerman and Natalie Wozniak (fiction – How to Love Me), Elise Williams (animation – A Perfecct Fit), Zaven Mouradian (fiction – Cupidity), Kyle Skerbe and Andrew Dennison (documentary – From Bean to the Cup), Zach Plumb (documentary – Made in Grand Rapids).
Randy Stroble and Russ Kaminski (Tenpins), Chris Gagnon (The Recyclist), Michael Martin and Corey Martin (Mary Jane Dockery), Andrew Zimmerman and Natalie Wozniak (The Rental), Benjamin Perry and Kayla Carr (Off Camera: A Tale of True Love)
Fall: Tom Gunnels, Director, and Chelsea Micinski, Producer, of The Book Exchange (fiction); Greg Kort, Director, and Andrew DeYoung, Producer, of The Ticket; Alan Ledford, Director of Playing with Matches; John Shaw, Director, and Sean Francis, Producer, of Man's Best Friend
Winter: Chris Kotcher/Lisa Kaline, "Springfield and Summer Sausage" (fiction, 16mm); Selia Martinez, "Behind the Comedy" (documentary); Evan Witkowski, "The Visions of Mic Higan" (fiction)
Fall: Jillian Cole, "[Grand] Rapid Growth" (documentary); Kathryn Postema, "Dan's Macabre" (fiction); Zachry Page and Celeste Klaus, "Assisted Living" (fiction)
Winter: Erin Krajewski, "Dennis Louis and the Most Beautiful Picture Show" (fiction, 16mm); Anna Gustafson "Lost in the Park" (fiction, video); Alex Smith "In Tandem" (fiction, 16mm); Michael Elzinga "Halo Hero" (documentary, video)
Fall: Joshua Lynn, "Heirs of Empires" (fiction); Kevin Parson, "Canvas" (fiction); Erin Krajewski, "A Leaf in Autumn" (fiction)
Winter: James Foltice, "Harry Hill" (fiction/animation); Kristen Gorlitz,"The Magician" (fiction); Josh Kinne, "Lady Sunshine" (fiction); Danny Quaka, "Olivia's Gift" (documentary); Max Rutecki,"Times Before Snow" (fiction)
Fall: Adam Goron, Devin Cameron, Jacob Beavers, Joshua Beagle and Matthew Nickels
Winter: Patrick Kwiatowski, Colin Weber, Matt Dressel, Melissa McKerchie and Nate Russell
Fall: Scott Sheppard, Andrew Fortenbacher, Kellen Parr, Sarah Pierantoni, Justin Clark and Forrest Karbowski
Winter: Paul DeLeeuw, Matthew Dressel, Todd Campbell, Chris Michael and Katy Skubic
Joseph Warner, Emily Kerkstra, Amy Puffenberger and Kevin Vanderhoof
Fall: Thomas O'Rourke, Kristin Ojaniemi
Spring: Dustin Foster, Mark Hensley, Bryant Osikowicz and Ryan Betzler, George Kitson, Joseph MacDonald and Luke MacDonald, Patrick Priest
Page last modified January 29, 2014