GVSU Family Health Center
Your Child's Medical Home
The GVSU Family Health Center as Your Child's Medical Home
What is a Medical Home?
A medical home is the one place (doctor's office or community clinic) that you take your child for all of their healthcare needs.
Well child checkups
Every Child Needs a Medical Home
A medical home offers the best care for your child because the staff knows you, your child, and your child's health history.
Because the staff knows your child, they can:
- Catch small problems before they become big problems
- Give you advice and help in caring for your child
- Make sure your child gets checkups, screenings, and shots to stay healthy
- Tell you about helpful community programs
When Your Child is Sick or Hurt, Call Your Medical Home
Your provider can tell you if you should:
- Treat your child at home (They will tell you how)
- Come into the office (They will make an appointment for you)
- Or go to the Emergency Room (The Emergency Room is for true emergencies - times when children may lose their life or risk their health without immediate treatment. It is rare when children need to go to the Emergency Room.)
Remember that you can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Page last modified September 17, 2010