Summer Grill Challenge
June 7th, 11:30am-1pm, Allendale - Parking Lot G
Grill masters, Andy Beachnau - Associate Vice Provost & Director of Housing and Health Services, Public Safety and Facilities Services staff are firing up the grills and competing for the best summer recipe. Visit the farmers market to try a sample of each one and vote for your favorite! Register online now!
2016 Winning Recipe
Spinach and Barley Salad with Grilled Pork
The 2016 opening day Summer Grill Challenge with President T. Haas & Marcia Haas, Andy Beachnau-Associate Vice Provost & Director of Housing and Health Services, Facilities Services and GVPD was a big success! The grill and competition was hot as contestants vied for the best summer recipe. Market goers sampled a taste of each recipe and voted for their favorite.
152 lunches were sold raising $912 in donations divided among the Children’s Enrichment Center and GVSU Student Food Pantry. This was possible due to the support of Campus Dining and Doug Wentworth in Auxiliary Services. Thank you for your generous contributions for this event.
BBQ roast recipe
Trim fat from one 3lb chuck roast.
Marinate 2-3 hours at room temperature or refrigerate overnight
-1/3 C wine vinegar
-1/4 C catsup
- 2 T soy sauce
-1 tsp prep. mustard
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp pepper
Broil 6-8 inches from heat until med. rare, 50-60 minutes. Baste with reserved marinade the last 15-20 minutes. Slice thin.
Grilled pizza with chicken and goat cheese recipe
Dough Ball- 1 ea
Corn Meal- 1-2 tbsp
Olive Oil- 2 tbsp
Balsamic Reduction- 2 tbsp
Goat Cheese- 2-3 oz
Cooked Chicken- 2 oz
Basil- 3-4 leaves, chiffonade(ribbon cut)
Roma Tomato- 1 ea
Salt - tt
- Heat grill, really hot, about 500 degrees
- Let dough sit a room temp for at least 30 minutes, stretch, dock(use fork to poke holes) to an amoeba-oval shape. Let rest and assemble other ingredients
- Cook chicken or buy rotisserie chicken, pull off the bone into bit size pieces
- Slice Roma tomatoes about 1/8 inch thick
- Balsamic, buy reduction or take 1 cup balsamic vinegar and reduce by 3/4 over medium heat on stove top. Looking for syrup consistency when cool.
- Take basil leaves, stack on each other, roll them so they look like a cone or cigar shape. Take your chef knife and slice 1/8 inch thick. Should resemble ribbons. Google if needed.
- Goat cheese comes in many forms. Look for cream cheese consistency style. Very simple you’ll just use your hands to pull some off to evenly plop some on your pizza in small amounts. The size of a nickel.
- To assemble.
- Brush both sides of pizza with oil. Place dough on grill and cook one side for about 2-3 minutes. Lid closed
- Dust work surface with corn meal
- Remove dough from grill and place raw side on corn meal
- Dress Pizza
- Drizzle balsamic
- Add chicken, goat cheese, tomato, salt and pepper
- Return to grill and cook for 3-5 more minutes- cheese melted, chicken warm to touch
- Let rest on cutting board for about 2 minutes
- Add basil
- If it looks dry to you, drizzle more balsamic and olive oil.
- Cut and serve
Tips: Test at home
Try different doughs
Clean grill surface is key
Once the dough hits the grill do not move, until it forms a crust
Well-seasoned grill(oiled surface)
Grill must be hot