Fire Safety & Clery Statistics
With the safety of our students, faculty, and staff as our top priority, Grand Valley State University is dedicated to providing the best in fire protection. Grand Valley’s Facilities Services Department checks our fire safety equipment to ensure the maximum protection for the GVSU community.
If a fire extinguisher is missing or has gone off, please notify Customer Service at 331-3000!
In the event of a fire, first CALL 911
Some Fire Safety Tips:
- Fire extinguishers are only to be used on small fires or as an aid to get you out of the building safely. Do NOT stay behind to fight the fire! Extinguishers have a limited capacity, unlike a hose attached to an endless flow of water; a fire hydrant! Your safety is more valuable to us than anything in our buildings.
- If a fire does occur, remain as close to the ground as possible to avoid smoke while exiting the building.
- When using a fire extinguisher remember to…PASS
- PULL (the pin)
- AIM (at the base of the fire)
- SQUEEZE ( the handle at a distance or 8-12 feet)
- SWEEP (the compound side to side)
Watch how to use a fire extinguisher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSms-jyOao
The CLERY Act requires that colleges and universities across the United States disclose information regarding crimes on and around their campuses to the public. These records must be published in an annual report and includes 3 years of crime statistics.
Grand Valley Clery Reporting: http://catalog.gvsu.edu/content.php?catoid=25&navoid=1278
Grand Valley State Fire Safety Information and Statistics:
Page last modified April 25, 2013