Welcome to Experience Matters!

A collection of internship and co-op experiences completed by Grand Valley students.


Grand Valley students are doing amazing things through professional experiences outside the classroom. This site gives viewers an inside look at these experiences. See some spotlighted experiences below, or click on View Experiences above to find more!

Experience Matters

Patient Access

Patient Access

Dreena
Major: Health Professions My summer project was to rewrite the registration policy for the ER. I observed in the emergency department, followed along with the registration desk employees, and was trained on the Health Quest computer system to gather information on how to fix the policy. I also collected all insurance information from every coordinator and created a data base so new associates can easily gain access to all insurance companies. Created maps with the original floor plans of the hospital showing how to get to the conference rooms. I also wrote directions to every location in the hospital.

Read More

Gathering Pieces of Local History

Gathering Pieces of Local History

Emily
Major: Anthropology My primary project was to build and collect resources for a historical database. The purpose of the database is to provide a centralized, digital location for storing and organizing historical articles, documents, and pictures about the history of the parks lands and Ottawa County. It now has over 450 items in it, which means that anybody in the Parks Department can look in the database for a particular park, open space (a mostly undeveloped park), or greenway, and find specific historical information about it. Many of the tasks that I completed involved researching and obtaining historical documents and information about the parks. I visited libraries, searched the Parks Department files, called and e-mailed local historians, and visited people who had books or pictures.

Read More

Co-op at Corvac Comp

Co-op at Corvac Comp

Abby
Major: Engineering - Product Design and Manufacturing I had a few major projects throughout the summer as well as small tasks. My main projects were; (1) Record cycle times of the top 80% of parts based on quantity shipped in order to get a base line standard. Also involved with this project was timing change over times to get a base line for those as well. (2) Layout proposal for the redesign of a cell. The purpose of the redesign was to see how the addition of another trim machine would affect the cycle time of that part. (3) Running samples of different sheet where regrind material was replaced with reproduced material to see how the different material affects quality of the finished part.

Read More