Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything. LIB 100 APPROVED!
Author Victor J. Strecher to speak at GVSU
Date and TimeWednesday, March 21, 2018
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- DeVos Center » 122E - Loosemore Auditorium
Victor J. Strecher, PhD, MPH is a Professor and Director for Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. As a teacher and researcher, Vic has spent much of his time studying the science and psychology of healthy personal change for both individuals and large populations. When Vic Strecher lost his daughter, Julia, to a rare heart disease, his world ended...only it didn’t. Vic's wife, Jeri, and older daughter, Rachael, were still very much alive, as were his two demanding careers as professor and businessman. What did end was his worldview: one based on long-held assumptions and beliefs about life, death, disease, health, risk, and ultimate purpose—subjects on which he had been writing and speaking for years—but whose reality he now questioned. Vic's experience of being "broken open" set him on a life-transforming journey and his book Life on Purpose explores the incredible connection between purposeful living and the latest scientific evidence on quality of life and longevity.
Drawing on ancient and modern philosophy, literature, psychology, evolutionary biology, genetics, and neuroscience, as well as his experience in public health research, Vic Strecher reveals the elements necessary for a purposeful life and how to acquire them, and outlines an elegant strategy for improving energy, willpower, and long-term happiness, and well-being. He integrates these core themes into his own personal story—a tragedy that led him to reconsider his own life—and how a deeper understanding of purposeful living helped him not only survive, but thrive.
Bonnie Wesorick Center for Health Care Transformation
- Academic » Academic Department Events » Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Academic » Academic Department Events » CLAS - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Academic » Academic Department Events » Seidman College of Business
- Campus Life » Campus Ministry
- Campus Life » Career Services
- Campus Life » University Counseling Center
- Campus Recreation » Wellness
- Human Resources » Faculty & Staff
- LIB 100
- Student Life
- Student Life » Leadership
- Student Life » Special Interest Organizations