Kan Balaam: Experiential Learning Through Theater
Date and TimeThursday, February 23, 2012
6:00 PM - 7:15 PM
- Cook DeWitt Center - Allendale Campus
"Kan Balaam: Experiential Learning through Theater"
Presented by Prof. Elvira Sanchez-Blake, Associate Professor (Department of Romance and Classical Studies, Michigan State University)
In this presentation Professor Sanchez-Blake analyzes the power of performance as an engine of cultural agency that connects the community and the academy by transforming cultural perceptions and attitudes; creating knowledge and raising social sensitivity toward a reality distant but close for students, faculty and the academic community. The collective theater creation Kan Balaam, condensed to a clear example of cultural agency where students, exposed to a cultural learning laboratory, multiplied their experience by bringing together the Mayan and Chiapas world to the academia eliciting awareness and understanding.
For more information, or special accommodations, please contact the Area Studies office, email@example.com or 331-8110.
Prof. Medar Serrata firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic » Academic Calendar
- Academic » Academic Department Events
- Academic » Academic Department Events » Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Academic » Academic Department Events » CLAS - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Campus Life » Padnos International Center
- Inclusion/Social Justice » Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Student Life
- Student Life » Cultural
- Student Life » Performing Arts