Farmers Market Walk
Date and TimeWednesday, June 6, 2012
11:30 AM - 12:00 PM
- Parking Lot F - Health & Wellness Table
Kick off the summer and farmer’s market season with a walk! Get outdoors and get moving with fellow students, faculty and staff members and finish the walk back at market for some music, food and fun! Campus dining will be providing lunches at the market for a minimal cost or sit in and try samples from the FREE cooking demo,“The Flexitarian”, presented by the Kent County Health Department.
Visit the Farmer's Market - opening day - to pick up some fresh produce for dinner!
Why buy local?
- Local foods are fresher and taste better!
- Local foods are seasonal - corn is best in August, not January.
- Local foods have less environmental impact. Less travel means less oil dependency; organic farming means less harmful chemicals and more sustainable farming practices.
- Local foods preserve green space and farmland. When you buy local you are supporting vendors' efforts to continue farming and preserve green space in Michigan.
- Local foods promote safety. The fewer hands that touch your food, the lesser the chance of contamination.
- Local foods promote the local economy. If each Michigan family spent $10 in a farmer's market, the economy would gain $37 million each year.
- Local foods create community. Knowing your food is coming from farms in West Michigan connects you with your neighbors who bring it to you.
Information provided by the Ada Village Farmers' Market, 2010
|This activity qualifies as a Healthy Choices activity!|