Brown Bag Lunch Series: Global Workplace - The Business of Fitting In
Date and TimeFriday, September 7, 2012
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
- 303C DEV
The Seidman College of Business is going to have 5 Brown-Bag Lunch sessions in this series. The series is focusing on the "Global Workplace: The Business of Fitting In." We would like to invite you to join us at these events; especially Seidman faculty, international professors, and their mentors! This will be in a workshop format with mini-lectures, interactive exercises and potential surveys.
All employees, both American and international, desire to be productive contributors in the workplace. If an individual feels alone in, alienated from, or uncomfortable in his/her work environment, he or she cannot be focused and productive.
Topics to be covered:
- How culture molds our beliefs and behaviors
- What is universal, what is cultural, what is personal?
- How to not offend someone from another culture. American culture vs. "exotic" cultures
- The 11 core values/beliefs of American Culture
Potential Survey Questions:
International Seidman faculty:
- What would you like your co-workers to know about you with regard to your background, beliefs, cultures, goals?
- How many times in the past 12 months have you felt misunderstood by American co-workers?
- How many times in the past 12 months have you felt offended by American co-workers?
- Do you have an officially designated mentor? If so, are you able to discuss almost any professional concerns with your mentor? Are you able to share any personal concerns? If not, why not?
American-born Seidman faculty:
- How comfortable are you working with an internationally diverse team?
- What concerns do you have in working with colleagues from another culture?
- If you could change one aspect of your relationship with one/all of your international colleagues, what would it be?
If you are interested in this event, please make sure you RSVP. If you have any questions, please call Valerie Karelse at 616.331.7100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Series Dates:
October 19, 2012
November 30, 2012
January 18, 2013
March, 29, 2013
Valerie Karelse email@example.com