Deciding on what laptop to buy for college is a hard decision. Here are our recommendations:
- Laptops are recommended over desktops.
- Memory- The more the better, maximize this option.
- Hard drive- You will need at least a 500gb hard drive or higher.
- Video Cards- The onboard video card is fine.
- Size- Some students prefer the larger screens and may need them for their CAD work. However, the downside is the weight of carrying such a heavy laptop around all the time. In this area, you should weigh your personal needs as you will be the one carrying the computer around.
- CPU- Faster- you should look for options with more cores.
- Brand is up to you, but note that GVSU has agreements with Dell & Lenovo.
- Click here for information on discounts offered to GVSU students.
- If you chose to purchase a Mac, note that it will need to be able to run Windows for many of the programs used in our departments.
- Netbooks/tablets will not work.
Please note that the price tag may seem high now, keep in mind that it is typical for a student to be in the program 4-6 years (depending on course load). A top of the line machine now will be out of date come graduation. To avoid the possibility of having to purchase a new machine in a few years it may be practical to purchase some of the costly upgrades now.