Link 3 – Departing Employees and Data Theft
Please answer the following questions:
1. How much data is stored electronically by a company? ____%
2. Why is electronic data so easy to steal by an employee (EE)?
3. DuPont scientist, Hong Meng, was sued by his employer (ER). Please state the causes of action mentioned in the article:
4. Is it possible for a company to sue an EE in contract (K) and in tort (civil wrong) for the same data theft? Please explain your answer.
5. How common is data theft by exiting employees (EES)?
6. State at least four ways an employee (EE) would be able to steal data from a company:
7. What steps do you think an ER should take to avoid data theft by its EES?
8. What type of policy should be enacted to address this type theft?
9. How might forensics help an ER in regard to EE data theft?
Page last modified October 8, 2012