Center for Women and Gender Equity Ambassadors: Feminist Leadership and Action
Students are a valued and important part of the Grand Valley State University Center for Women and Gender Equity. Therefore, the Ambassador program was created to build a connection to students who want to further the mission of the Women's Center as well as their own leadership.
The Center for Women and Gender Equity Ambassador program offers students who are interested in making a difference in the lives of women and girls, an opportunity to explore leadership through service, activism, and discussion. The Ambassador program is based on a Feminist Leadership for Social Change curriculum with the goal of empowering women leaders through activism and community engagement!
Also check out GVSU Feminist Voices, the Center for Women and Gender Equity blog. Ambassadors regularly write blog posts!
Learning Outcomes for students involved in the Ambassador Program
- Explore feminist leadership as a model
- Design and lead service programs relevant to gender justice in the community
- Engage in leadership through presenting to the campus community about the Center for Women and Gender Equity and gender-related issues, such as intersectionality, storytelling, women of color, etc.
- Empower others to get involved in their communities
- Create social change through civic engagement
Ambassador Responsibilities - service learning, outreach and engagement:
- Attend bi-weekly meetings during the fall and winter semesters, participate in discussions
- Present when available to classes/student groups
- Lead/ co-lead several Day of Service Projects a semester
- Participate in tabling on behalf of the Center for Women and Gender Equity
- Regularly post to the Ambassador blog
- Develop and present a session at Leadership Summit and/or GVSU Teach In on a topic relevant to feminist Leadership
Ambassadors make a year-long commitment to the program. The ambassador curriculum includes relevant reading and presentations from community experts on topics related to leadership and gender equity and justice. Ambassadors meet for about 90 minutes every-other-week during the fall and winter semesters. Ambassadors are also asked to co-lead at least one Day of Service per semester and have the opportunity to represent the Center for Women and Gender Equity at various campus events.
How to Get Involved
All ambassadors are required to fill out an application for involvement in the program. Applications are accepted at the beginning of each academic year.
Applications can be found here. Applications for the 2017-2018 cohort are due Friday, September 15, 2017 by 5 pm.
Ambassador Meeting Schedule 2017-2018:
Monday, September 25-Wednesday, September 27, Time TBD, Interviews
Friday, September 29, 2-5pm (Orientation)
Friday, October 6, 2-4pm
Friday, October 20, 2-4pm
Friday, November 3, 2-4pm
Friday, November 10, 2-4pm
Friday, December 1, 2-4pm
Friday, January 19, 2-4pm
Friday, February 2, 2-4pm
Friday, February 16, 2-4pm
Friday, March 16, 2-4pm
Friday, April 6, 2-4pm
Friday, April 20, TBD