Michigan Space Grant Consortium
Seed and Program (Pre-College, Public Outreach, and Teacher Training) Grant Guidelines for Application and Management
The following guidelines will be helpful as you apply for and manage a Michigan Space Grant:
- If you are planning to submit a Michigan Space Grant Consortium proposal, please inform Mary Ann Sheline at the Regional Math and Science Center (RMSC) and your unit head of your intentions preferably 21 days before submission. Call 331-2265 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sheline is the affiliate representative from GVSU and the application requires that she be contacted and sign off on the proposal.
- Program Proposals are due electronically on November 19, 2010. See the website, http://sgc.engin.umich.edu/ or www.umich.edu/~msgcfor the applications and instructions.
- Complete the Internal Review and Approval form found at: www.gvsu.edu/rmsc. Some of the items have been filled in, but you must complete all the additional blanks and get the required signatures. (Signature 3 is not required for Space Grants.) You do not need to complete the budget portion of the form if you attach the budget as submitted with the Space Grant application.
- Make an appointment with Mary Ann Sheline and bring the form to the RMSC (C-1-120 MAK) along with a paper copy of all your documents. She will answer questions and review your application. You must also submit an electronic copy of your final documents to Ms. Sheline.
- Michigan Space Grants require that awardees be United States citizens.
- Program and Seed Grants require a budget that must be carefully done. Therefore, you are asked to develop the grant budget in the following manner:
- Review your budget with Mary Ann Sheline.
- Clearly state the source of matching funds. See below.
- Clearly identify in-kind matching funds and source. In-kind matches must be reviewed and confirmed.
- Salaries must have fringe benefits associated with them. Please check the fringe rates by searching “fringe benefit accrual rates” at: www.gvsu.edu
- Illustrate the budget in table form if possible. See sample.
- Provide justification for all budget expenditures.
- Please review budgets with unit heads
- Sheline will arrange a budget meeting with the accounting department prior to submission.
Seed and Program Grants (Teacher Training, Pre-College Education, and Public Outreach) require a 1:1 match for the budget. The match can be in real or donated dollars. Donated dollars can include time and services, materials or supplies, and indirect costs calculated at the GVSU rate of 40.5% of salaries and fringe.
If your budget requires real dollars, you must secure the funds through your department or the CLAS Dean’s Office. Faculty seeking funds through the Dean’s Office must make an appointment with Shaily Menon, CLAS Associate Dean for Professional Development and Administration, to discuss and get approval for your request. If you have cash matches from other non-federal grants, fees, research funds start-up money, travel, or professional development funds, they can also be counted as matching funds.
Letter of Support for Seed Grants
Seed Grant applications require a letter of support which should be written by your unit head.
- Be mindful of the progress and/or final reports due to the Michigan Space Grant Office at U of M. Check the application description for guidelines and due dates. Send an electronic copy of all reports to Mary Ann Sheline at: email@example.com Martha Moore, Accounting, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plan to attend the Michigan Space Grant Consortium Conference at U of M in the fall of the year after completion of your project. Oral and poster presentations by faculty and students are encouraged. There is usually some travel support for students available. Information is mailed to grant recipients in the fall.
- The RMSC will help establish the grant account when the money is received. The RMSC Director, and Dean or Associate Dean will have signature authority. Monitor your budget carefully. Be sure to attend to the following:
- If any stipends or salaries are to be paid, you must inform Mary Watters, Office Assistant of the RMSC, of:
- Name, home address and Social Security Number/G Number of person to be paid.
- Amount of payment.
- Dates of work for which payments are to be made
- Any other contract information, such as assignment or type of work. Contracts are generally issued to faculty, adjuncts, special speakers or presenters, students on fellowship, and students working as student employees. (All persons paid must be US citizens)
- Please make copies of any paper work that supports expenditures (invoices, IDC’s, travel vouchers) for the RMSC.We monitor all the accounts and need the supporting documentation.
- The GVSU Grants office requires that grantees submit the following forms:
- Certification of Labor Costs provided by Third Parties ( The forms are available at: http://www.gvsu.edu/grantsaccounting/)
- In Kind Contribution Receipt Voucher (Forms available as above)
Thank you for your help and cooperation. Please call the RMSC (x12267), if we can be of assistance.
Page last modified August 10, 2011