Comprehensive Science & Arts for Teaching


Q: How long will my program take?

There are two components to the Special Ed. Program: the CSAT major (in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, to be completed before starting in the College of Education) and the Special Education Major (completed in the College of Education). The CSAT major is 44 or 46 credits, and the Special Ed. major is 66 or 72/75 credits, depending on which endorsement you pursue. These, in addition to the General Education and B.A./B.S. cognate requirements, will take full-time students at least 10 semesters, usually with 15 credits per semester; some semesters you may take 16 credits.

How long it takes you to complete both majors will depend on several factors:

  • Whether you start the program with courses that either count towards the major or satisfy Gen. Ed. Requirements. Transfer students and those who change their majors may need additional time to complete all requirements. An advisor in the CLAS Advising Center can help you determine which courses you have already taken will satisfy major and/ or General Education requirements.
  • How closely you follow the suggested pattern of coursework. Note that several courses have prerequisites, which in turn have their own prerequisites, so it’s important to get started on these sequences early and complete them in the right order. See the Sheet displaying prerequisites for courses in the CSAT major.
  • Which endorsements you choose. Cognitive Impairment (CI) and Emotional Impairment (EI) are both undergraduate endorsements, while Early Childhood (ZS) and Learning Disabilities (LD) are graduate endorsements are part of Master’s programs, which require two additional courses and a master’s thesis. 


Q: How do I know which endorsements to pursue?

A: The answer depends on what population you want to work with. Check out the information sheet from the COE (hopefully forthcoming) on which populations a specific endorsement will certify you to serve. If you don’t already have a preference, you should consult early on with a COE advisor and try to volunteer with a variety of populations. In addition, we strongly advise you to take both PSY 310 (for the EI endorsement) and PSY 326 (for the CI endorsement), in order to keep your options open when you enter the COE.


Q: I have already satisfied the SST 309 requirement through coursework completed before Fall 2010. Do I still need to take SST 309?

A: While you have satisfied the requirement, and therefore do not have to take the course, we strongly advise you to take it. This is a methods course, and no other course covers the same content and specifically prepares you to teach Social Studies. Furthermore, students who take SST 309 find themselves better prepared for the subsection of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) - Elementary Ed. that covers this subject.


Q: When do I apply to the COE?

A: Teacher candidates in the CSAT/Special Ed. Program can only begin their field experiences in the Fall semester. The application deadline for Fall is February 1. Before applying, you should have all CSAT coursework completed, as well as the 4/5 Education and Psychology courses (ED 315; PSY 301, 304, 310/326) in the Special Ed. Major that are required for admission to the COE.


Q: How often should I meet with my advisor?

A: Ideally, you should meet with your assigned faculty (CSAT) advisor or a professional advisor in the CLAS Academic Advising Center at least once a year, before registering for the next year’s courses. Your advisors can help keep you on track to complete your program in a timely fashion.


Q: Do I need to meet with my faculty (CSAT) advisor? Can’t I just go to the CLAS Academic Advising Center when I need advising?

A: The professional advisors in the Advising Center can give you advice about your program as well as other graduation requirements, but only your faculty advisor can complete the Advisor Recommendation form for application to the COE. Therefore it is important that your faculty advisor knows you well enough to recommend you to for admission to the COE. We suggest that you visit him/her as well as your professional advisor.

Page last modified October 18, 2011