What do you do if you're feeling suicidal?
- Talk to a mental health professional (GVSU Counseling Center (616) 331-3266). After hours you may
talk to your RA or call Public Safety at (616) 331-3255.
- Talk to others: friends, family, doctor, clergy (campus ministry), RA, graduate assistants, professor, or
counselor at (616) 331-3266.
- Ask a relative or friend to stay with you. If there is no one available you can go to a healthcare facility
such as a campus health center, hospital or urgent care center.
- Avoid alcohol and other non-prescribed drugs.
- Call a suicide hotline (in Ottawa County, call toll free (866) 512-HELP (4357); in Kent County, call
(616) 336-3535; and nationwide, call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).
Back to Emergency Services Page