Collective possibility. Together, we seek to understand the challenges before us, design an approach, contribute our gifts, and create mutual benefit. Together we build partnerships of depth and consequence.
Discovery. Our curiosity leads us to seek new learning everywhere, especially from sources outside our experience.
Diversity. We expect and welcome differences, even dissent, and employ these tensions to build bridges and generate new possibilities.
Shared responsibility. In our work together, we hold ourselves accountable for both our particular contribution and the well-being of the whole.
What is our preferred future?
GVSU's community engagement:
• applies and amplifies the university's strategic competencies in response to community needs and interests
• builds boundary-spanning partnerships of mutual learning and benefit
• harnesses our collective strengths for measurable impact of significance to multiple stakeholders, including students, alumni, donors, elected officials, faculty, and our West Michigan communities
Our university/community partnerships attract:
• students pursuing a 21st century education that prepares them for civic responsibility and leadership in an economy in which collaboration and collective intelligence outsmart competition and control
• faculty to engaged teaching and scholarship
• funders seeking a solid return on investment
• recognition for excellence in our chosen strategic engagement efforts