Field Placement Requirements
Upon admission to Undergraduate Teacher Education, the student will be placed in teacher assisting for the following semester, contingent upon an interview and acceptance by the school administrator. Students who postpone their entrance after admission must reapply as new applicants if they seek readmission. Students must follow the holiday break schedule designated by the K-12 district for their school placement/assignment, not the GVSU holiday break schedule for both teacher assisting and student teaching. Field placements are generally made within a 40-mile radius from campus unless further placement is deemed necessary for suitable supervision and effective use of unit resources.
- Submission of completed application packet by September 15 for winter placement, February 1 for fall placement.
- Completion of Teacher Assisting with a grade of B- or better and positive recommendations.
- Completion of EDF 310 , and EDR 320 or EDR 321 , with a B- or better.
- Completion of EDT 370 , and EDS 378 or EDS 379 (elementary and secondary general education students only) with a B- or better.
- Continued 2.7 GPA overall and in the education major sequence, content area major, minor. Currently, these content area majors require a 3.0 GPA: Art Education, Language Arts, English (major and minor). Beginning Fall 2015 3.0 GPA will be required for Social Studies majors, and History majors and minors.
- Interview and acceptance by school administrator.
Students must inform the Associate Director for Placement if they must withdraw from a field placement course. Notification must be immediate and in writing. Failure to do so will result in removal from the program.