MDE Educator Certification changes (initiated June 23, 2014)
Effective immediately are changes in MDE rules regarding:
- May use Master's degree earned at any time for provisional renewals and progression to professional certification
- SCECH Hours needed for provisional renewals and professional certification are now 150 (previously 180)
- Update of the maximum hours of DPPD's used per school year. No longer 30 hours per school year for DPPD. Teachers will need a total of 150 over the five year period preceding application.
Applicants who have previously been denied certificate renewal or progression to the professional certificate and who have completed one or more of the above, should reapply in MOECS to be granted certification under the new requirements. Reapplying will initiate this process.
Click the following links to jump directly to information on:
Provisional Certificate Renewals
Teachers may apply for a provisional renewal if they have not met all requirements within the five year validity of their INITIAL provisional certificate. They may do this by completing one of the options below. However, ALL HOURS NEED TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN THREE YEARS UPON APPLICATION OF THE PROVISIONAL RENEWAL
First renewal requires completion of ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- 6 semester hours in a planned program of study at an approved educational preparation institution (EPI); OR
- 6 semester credit hours of academic credit appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate; OR
- 150 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECH) appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate held; OR
- Combination of semester credit hours and SCECHs (25 SCECHs equate to 1 semester credit hour).
Note:You may NOT use DPPD's for first renewals.
The first renewal is valid for 3 years. If requirements for the professional certificate are not met by the expiration date of the first renewal, a second 3 year renewal may be obtained by completing one of the options above within the three year time limit prior to application.
Note: You may NOT use DPPDs for second renewals.
Professional Certificate Renewals
Candidates for professional certification renewals must meet ONE of the following requirements:
- Six semester credit hours in a planned program at an approved teacher preparation institution (EPI); OR
- Six semester credit hours of academic credit appropriate to the grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate at any regionally accredited college or university; OR
- 150 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) in appropriate to grade level and content endorsement(s) of the certificate held; OR
- 150 District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) hours through professional development programs appropriate to grade level and content endorsement(s); OR
- Any combination of the required amount of semester credit, SCECH and DPPD hours that equals 150 hour (see examples below)
- 1 college credit is equivalent to 25 SCECH
To convert SB-CEU to SCECH: Multiply the SB-CEU by 10 (Example: 2.4 SB-CEU x 10 = 24 SCECH clock hours)
- 1 college credit is equivalent to 25 DPPD clock hours
Old SB-CEUs can still be used for professional certification and are recorded in the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS)
All credits/hours need to be completed within five years prior to application AND since the issuance of last certificate.