College of Education
- Program may be completed in two years
- Some courses offered in weekend formats
- Instructional emphasis based on lab sessions, hands-on activities, and group processes
- Academy faculty include practicing administrators or those with recent field experience
Classes offered at the GVSU Eberhard Center or the DeVos Center on the Pew Campus in downtown Grand Rapids. Overnight accommodations are conveniently located in the area, several within walking distance of the campus.
Three-credit courses meet one weekend a month for three months. Students who elect to take two weekend classes meet two alternate weekends each month for three months. One-credit modules meet for one weekend.
All students who complete an administrator program undertake a practicum on the job which enables them to apply leadership theory to practice. Practicum students are assisted by a mentor and a faculty member. Students typically do not take time off from their current jobs to complete the practicum.
The Basic Administrator's program is designed for both degree-seeking and non degree-seeking individuals who currently work in an administrative capacity or who have been identified by their school districts as having administrative potential. Applicants for admission to the program must be sponsored by a mentor from the area of interest, i.e, principal, superintendent, special education administration.
The Basic Administratior program is a performance-oriented program that leads to a Master of Education in Leadership degree with an emphasis in Educational Leadership or Special Education Administration.
The program emphasizes learning by doing. Although the program involves conventional instruction, the greatest emphasis is placed on lab sessions, problem solving, and field experience.
Required Courses (18 credits):
- EDL 665 Educational Leadership
- EDL 666 Curriculum Leadership
- EDL 668 Personnel Administration
- EDL 670 School Law
- EDL 677 School and Community Relationships
- One of:
- EDL 667 Elementary Supervision and Evaluation
- EDL 671 Secondary Supervision and Evaluation
Practicum (Application form required. Apply in advance. Advisor approval required) (3 credits each):
- EDL 685 A K-12 Principal Field Practicum
Administrative Internship ( 3 credits):
- EDL 687 Administration Internship
- EDL 665 - Educational Leadership
- EDL 666 - Curriculum Leadership
- EDL 667 - Elementary Supervision and Evaluation
- EDL 668 - Personnel Administration
- EDL 670 - School Law
- EDL 671 - Secondary Supervision and Evaluation
- EDL 677 - School and Community Relationships
- EDL 685 A - K-12 Principal Field Practicum
- EDL 687 - Administrative Internship