College of Education

Post-Baccalaureate Options for Teachers

The College of Education receives numerous inquiries from post-baccalaureate students who wish to earn teacher certification. Those able to pursue this goal often become our strongest teaching candidates. Post-baccalaureate  programs are available at the graduate level in elementary and secondary general education and at the undergraduate level in elementary and secondary general education and elementary special education.

Both programs feature selective admission and require completion of all requirements listed below. However, programs differ in their suitability for individual candidates based on previous academic achievement, prior completion of requirements, life experience, and scheduling flexibility.

Post-Baccalaureate Certification Questions

Question: If I hold a bachelor's degree, how long does it take to complete certification?

Answer: Length of time varies from one year to three years of full-time study, depending on prior coursework.

Question: Are classes offered part-time? Evenings? Off-campus?

Answer: Students following the undergraduate program may attend part-time or full-time on the Allendale campus; evening classes and off-campus offerings are also available, depending on choice of subject area. The graduate program at the Eberhard Center typically requires full-time study with a cohort group for one year. Field courses, both programs, require two semesters of daytime participation.

Question: How can I estimate whether I have already fulfilled some course requirements?

Answer: Conduct a preliminary analysis by consulting the university catalog. Examine the Education section and the sections that contain your intended major and/or minor. You may find program requirements in the university online catalog.

Question: How can I obtain more information?

Answer:  Register to attend one of the information meetings conducted specifically for post-baccalaureate candidates. An advisor from the College of Education or subject area advisor will assist with a personal evaluation and help you decide which of the two programs is most appropriate. You will also receive materials to help you obtain official advising, apply for university and program admission, and register for state testing.

To register for one of the regularly scheduled information meetings, contact:

The College of Education
Student Information and Services Center
101 Eberhard Center
Phone: (616) 331-6650 or

Michigan Certification Requirements

Candidates are eligible for Michigan Provisional Certification after they successfully complete program requirements and pass state mandated endorsement area tests. Click for selection of teachable majors and minors:

Elementary Teachable Majors and Minors
Secondary Teachable Majors and Minors

Graduate Teacher Certification (GTC) Certification Requirements
Graduate level certification is available for candidates who:

  • Received a baccalaureate degree at least one year prior to application
  • Already hold a teachable major
  • Earned at least a 3.0 grade point average in the major and in the final 60 credits of the degree
  • Earned passing scores on the Michigan Basic Skills Test and the Michigan Subject Area Test in the teachable major
  • Fulfill other requirements outlined in College of Education material

Undergraduate Teacher Certification Entrance Requirements
Candidates who hold a baccalaureate degree and wish to pursue certification at the undergraduate level typically follow these steps:

  • Apply for Grand Valley undergraduate admission
  • Complete appropriate major and minor requirements
  • Maintain at least a 2.7 GVSU grade point average (3.0 for English/Language Arts and Visual Arts)
  • Complete COE prerequisite courses
  • Pass the Michigan Basic Skills Test
  • Apply and are accepted into the COE professional program

Page last modified August 7, 2012