LiveText Faculty FAQs
On this page you will find faculty information on the LiveText assessment and ePortfolio system. Scroll down or click on the following links to jump directly to a specific section:
DISCLAIMER: Grand Valley State University’s College of Education makes every effort possible to provide information that is accurate and reflects the active policies and procedures of the College of Education. However, information shared on this page is subject to change at any time by appropriate action of the College of Education.
LiveText: A Brief Overview
Effective from Fall 2014 onward, a LiveText Student Membership: Field Experience Edition (ISBN: 9780979663567) will be required for all* College of Education students. LiveText student memberships may be purchased in-store from the University Bookstore or online from LiveText.com. This one-time purchase, which is comparable in price to the cost of a textbook, is valid for up to 5 years from the date of your purchase.
When making the decision to require students to purchase LiveText, it was ultimately decided that all* students enrolled in a College of Education program need access to the many benefits LiveText provides. The key benefit for students is that they will have access to faculty feedback on their performance across all Education courses. Having access to this information helps students to reflect on their learning over time. LiveText allows faculty to share assessments and showcase how students have met standards and areas that they excel in within their program(s). Other student benefits are listed in the Benefits section below.
For our faculty and staff in the College of Education, LiveText provides our programs with detailed data reports that we use for our state and federal accreditation. Our programs are accredited both by the Michigan Department of Education and NCATE (the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, which is merging into CAEP, the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation). Through course assessments in LiveText, we collect data each semester to show accreditors we are preparing future/current teachers to meet national standards. LiveText now enables our faculty to collect and analyze course assignments and assessment data more efficiently and provide feedback to students on their assessments.
*Please note: The Higher Education (M.Ed.) in Adult and Higher Education or College Student Affairs Leadership (CSAL) programs do NOT use LiveText. Students in these programs are exempt from purchasing LiveText.
LiveText Faculty Benefits
- Faculty can create rubrics and course assessments, aligning them to current standards.
- Integrates with Blackboard.
- Allows for detailed alignment with the latest state, federal, and professional standards for teacher education programs. Faculty can easily show “evidence” that programs comply with requirements.
- Facilitates web creation of student projects such as professional and classroom portfolios.
- Accurately assess student work over time based on custom rubrics and expectations.
- Provides tools for marking, editing, and evaluating student work.
- Privacy is yours until you wish to share your data with others.
- Online access 24/7/365 from multiple computer locations: school, work, home, etc.
LiveText Student Benefits
- Unlimited, secure digital online storage with 24/7/365 access.
- Easy preparation of customized portfolios that you can share
- Ability to create a classroom management portfolio
- Privacy unless you wish to share your data with instructors, classmates, peers, and/or employers.
- All-in-one-portability of work between classes & semesters.
- Resources, including a rubric maker, standards, assignment templates, curriculum tools, and more.
- Access to LiveText’s curriculum tools and standards, allowing you to create lesson plans with integrated standards.
- Showcase your personal growth through program assessments.
LiveText Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What do students pay to purchase LiveText?
A: The cost of purchasing LiveText is jointly shared by the College of Education and students. Students may purchase their copy of
LiveText Student Membership: Field Experience Edition (ISBN: 9780979663567) in-store from the GVSU University Bookstore, or directly from the LiveText website at https://www.livetext.com/purchase-register-membership/ .
The program currently retails for $133.00, although the University Bookstore is selling copies of LiveText Student Membership: Field Experience Edition (ISBN: 9780979663567) at a slightly reduced cost.
Each student LiveText account is a one-time purchase that is valid for 5 years from the date of purchase. Students will be using LiveText throughout their Education courses and have access to their files and portfolio across semesters and beyond graduation.
Q: When are course assignments posted on LiveText?
A: Most course assignments in LiveText are collected toward the end of the semester, so course assignments may not appear in LiveText until the middle of each semester. For each semester, this means course assignments will be posted:
- Mid-February (approximately Feb. 14th) for Winter courses.
- End of May (approximately May 30th) for Spring courses and 12-Week Spring/Summer courses.
- Early July (approximately July 8th) for Summer courses.
- Mid-October (approximately October 14th) for Fall courses.
These dates may fluctuate some each semester, and faculty may request to have assignments posted in LiveText earlier if needed.
Q: What do I do if I forgot my LiveText password?
A: If you would like to receive an e-mail with a link to reset your password, please follow the steps listed below:
- Go to https://www.livetext.com
- In the upper right corner of your browser window and to the right of the "Login" button, click the link "Forgot Password?"
- Enter your school email address.
- Click the "Continue" button.
- Make sure the first choice ("Email to") is selected.
- Click the "Continue" button.
- Check your e-mail account. Look for an e-mail from "email@example.com" with a subject line that begins with "LiveText Password Reset Code for". You may need to check your spam or trash folders if you do not receive the email in your inbox. Alternatively, you may need to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to receive the email if your email provider is filtering the email from your account entirely.
- Your username will be located at the top of the email. Within the e-mail you've received, click the link provided. This should take you back to the LiveText website and you should see a message stating "Reset your password".
- Enter a new password for your account in the textboxes labeled "New Password" and "Confirm New Password". The password must be identical in both boxes. The password must be at least six characters in length and contain a mix of character types with at least two from the following categories: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numeral, and symbols. It is your responsibility to safekeep your username and password if you choose to write it down.
- Click the "Continue" button. At this point, you will receive a confirmation message on screen that states "your new password has been reset successfully".
- Click the link "Continue to your LiveText Membership account".
Q: Do my students really need to buy LiveText?
A: Yes, all* College of Education students (undergraduate, graduate, endorsement) will need to purchase LiveText, regardless of how many courses they are taking. This one-time purchase, which is comparable in price to the cost of a textbook, is valid for up to 5 years from the date of your purchase. A few courses do not complete assessments at this time and are therefore currently not requiring students to purchase LiveText. Those courses are as follows:
- ED 180, ED 600, ED 601
- EDC 680, EDC 699
- EDF 100, EDF 380, EDF 399, EDF 499, EDF 635, EDF 650, EDF 653, EDF 680, EDF 699
- All EDH courses
- EDI 380, EDI 399, EDI 480, EDI 499, EDI 680, EDI 699, EDI 780, EDI 799
- EDL 680, EDL 699, EDL 780, EDL 799
- EDR 317, EDR 380, EDR 499, EDR 599, EDR 612, EDR 613, EDR 680, EDR 680, EDR 699
- EDS 380, EDS 399, EDS 499, EDS 550, EDS 680, EDS 699
- EDT 380, EDT 399, EDT 680, EDT 699
*Please note: The Higher Education (M.Ed.) in Adult and Higher Education or College Student Affairs Leadership (CSAL) programs do NOT use LiveText. Students in these programs are exempt from purchasing LiveText because they are not working directly with K-12 students.
Q: Why do students need to buy LiveText?
A: LiveText will enable College of Education students to complete course assignments, submit program assessments, save projects and papers in a secure location, build an electronic professional portfolio, and showcase your educational growth. Additionally, LiveText is required by the College of Education in order to maintain our quality programs.
Q: How is LiveText different from Blackboard and Google's Drive?
A: While LiveText's user interface has a similar layout to Blackboard and provides students with the ability to create documents (similar to Google Drive), the main feature that makes LiveText unique is its ability to link program and college standards directly to assessments and assignments. This provides the College of Education with an effective way to collect summative data on how our students are performing in specific areas of our programs and seek ways to improve our courses. With LiveText, students also now have the ability to comment on assessments and receive feedback from faculty. For e-portfolios, LiveText provides students with the ability to create personalized portfolios and spotlight key assignments, standards, and work samples that you have completed in your program.
Q: Is GVSU's College of Education the only institution using LiveText?
No, LiveText is used by universities across the United States. Other Michigan institutions that use LiveText include Eastern Michigan University, Madonna University, Ferris State University, Andrews University, Northwestern Michigan College, and Miller College. If students already have a LiveText account from another institution, they do not need to purchase another copy (unless their account has expired).
Q: Where do students buy LiveText?
A: We recommend students purchase their LiveText Student Membership: Field Experience Edition (ISBN: 9780979663567) in-store from the GVSU University Bookstore, or directly from the LiveText website at https://www.livetext.com/purchase-register-membership/
Q: Do faculty need to purchase LiveText?
A: Faculty LiveText accounts are being managed by the College of Education's Administrative Services department. If you are a course instructor and do not yet have a LiveText account, please contact Alex Jacobsson at email@example.com or via (616) 331-6248.
Q: If I need help with LiveText, who should I contact?
A: LiveText has a comprehensive online guide that will guide you through using the program at https://www.livetext.com/c1_help/ . You can also contact the LiveText Help Desk directly for support at 1-866-548-3839 or via firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions or would like additional information about LiveText, feel free to contact the College of Education's LiveText coordinator, Alex Jacobsson at email@example.com .