GTC Admission Requirements
Prior to applying, all post-baccalaureate students should attend a program information session. There you will receive materials to help you obtain official advising, apply for university and program admission, and register for state testing. The informational sessions schedule is listed below.
Steps for admission to GTC
- Applicants must submit an official copy of the reading, mathematics, and writing sub-scores from the ACT or SAT. Applicants may submit an official copy of the verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing from the GRE if ACT or SAT scores are not available.
- Completion of the baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution at least one year prior to application with a 3.0 GPA or higher for the final 60 semester credits.
- A 3.0 GPA in the teachable subject major/minor.
- A completed Masters of Education graduate application submitted to the GVSU Admissions Office by January 15.
- A separate GTC application packet is also needed and is available at GTC Information Sessions (due by November 1).
- Evidence of 25 hours of paid or volunteer work with children within the age group you wish to teach (due by November 1 unless given permission for extension).
- Passing scores on the newly designed SAT or approved alternative test(s) and MTTC Subject Major tests.
- Completion of Curricular Integration of Ed. Technology, EDT 619 - for elementary candidates only.
- Resume (due by November 1).
- A personal essay (due by November 1).
- A personal interview with the program advisor (Due by November 1).
- Signed statement regarding criminal activity (Due by November 1).
- Elementary candidates must complete PED 265 Teaching Health in Elementary Schools and PED 266 Move-Learn! PE and Dance for Elementary Education.
NOTE: Students seeking a major in World Languages must pass the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) prior to their student teaching semester.
Graduate Application Deadlines
- May 15* — Fall Semester Application Deadline
- September 15* — Winter Semester Application Deadline
- February 15* — Spring/Summer Semester Application Deadline
*PLEASE NOTE: Early application is strongly encouraged. Applicants will be admitted on the basis of program approval. Applications received after the deadline will be considered. When all application materials have been received, Admissions will forward the complete portfolio for consideration to the College of Education – Student Information and Services Center. Once an application is complete, candidates should allow 4-6 weeks for written notification of their admission status.
Informational Sessions Schedule
All informational session are held from 5:30-7:00 PM at the Eberhard Center located at 301 Fulton West, Grand Rapids, MI
- January 9
- February 6
- March 27
- May 1
- June 5
Online Application for Graduate School
Once you have completed the requirements for your undergraduate major and minor (secondary only) or have registered for your undergraduate courses, you should apply for graduate school. This can be accomplished in November, or as late as January of the year you are intending to enter the GTC program.
If you are relying on undergraduate FASFA, changing your status to graduate does create issues for your financial aid. If you have concerns about this, please contact Annukka Thelen (Associate Director for Graduate Programs) before finalizing your graduate application.
The application can be found on the GVSU web site by going to http://www.gvsu.edu/gradapply. You will also need 3 recommendations: each recommendation requires your reference to complete an online recommendation form. The online application will have a section for Recommendations where MED students will be asked to provide the names and email addresses of three recommenders. If you have submitted recommendations to us previously, your references will be able to indicate that on the application as well.