Master of Education in School Counseling

Interested in this program? Apply now or contact the College of Education's Student Information and Services Center for additional information at 616-331-6650 or

School Counseling prepares students to work as school counselors in K-12 public and private school systems. It leads to a school counselor endorsement or a school counselor license in Michigan. Students accepted into the M.Ed. in school counseling must have completed coursework in their undergraduate degree in school learning, and classroom management or coursework in these areas will be required as part of their planned program.

Program Requirements Back to top

(36-42 credit hours)

Pre/Co-Requisite Courses-For students without undergraduate coursework in these areas (6 credits)

  • EDF 650 Classroom Management (K-12)
  • EDF 653 School Learning

Social Foundation Courses - Take one course (3 credits)

  • EDF 671 Educational Policy and Practice
  • EDF 672 Social/Cultural Foundations of Education

Emphasis Area Courses (Take prior to Practicum) (21 credits)

  • EDC 621 The Profession of School Counseling
  • EDC 623 Personal/Social Development
  • EDC 625 Academic Development
  • EDC 649 Career Development
  • EDC 651 School Counseling Curriculum and Techniques
  • EDI 635 Development and Needs of Students
  • SW 600 Cultural Competency for Social Work

Research Foundation Course (Prerequisite to ED 693/695) (3 credits)

  • EDF 660 Educational Inquiry and Evaluation

Practicum/Internship (Application form required. Apply in advance. Advisor approval required.) (6 credits)

  • EDC 685 Internship School Counseling

Capstone (Application form required. Apply in advance. Advisor approval required.) (3 credits) Select One

  • ED 693 Master's Project
  • ED 695 Master's Thesis

Application deadlines (Practicum/Thesis/Project): February 15 for spring/summer, May 15 for fall,
September 15 for winter semester.

Students seeking school counseling endorsements or school counseling licenses must complete all listed coursework and pass the State of Michigan Test for Teacher Certification. The School Counseling License (SCL) is for counseling in school settings only.


May be viewed on the College of Education’s Course List page.

Courses Back to top