Unit Head Mailing 6-14-11
Dean Collins, AVP Godwin, and Dean Antczak have come to some agreements about a pilot version of ED 431 that is crosslist-able and that meets SPA requirements. We've collaborated on developing several adjustments in the current process and will implement a pilot version of it in Fall 2011.
- The pilot version will apply to History, German, PE and Math; as they come up for future SPA review, we'll be able to roll in Art, Languages (Spanish, German, French, Latin, etc.), Geography, Language Arts, Social Studies, History, Sciences, and Psychology.
- CLAS should be responsible for 3 of the seminars.
- CLAS will do 3 of the observations--so it could be an even split of 6 visits, or if CoE judges that a teacher needs more visits, they can do as many more as they judge needed.
- There will be a content rubric for CLAS, and a pedagogy rubric for CoE, while there may be one rubric in cases of joint appointments.
- A fifth (content oriented) folder may be developed in the areas that haven't already added content. The ones that have already added content to existing folders are Language Arts, Math, and Music, and as they come up for SPA review they may be looked at for the feasibility and desirability of developing a fifth folder.
- The details related to cross listing courses are part of further discussions.
1. HST, GER, PE, and MTH unit heads, please provide names of faculty who will be part of ED 431 this fall to AD Schutten by June 27, so that they may be included in the summer planning meetings hosted by the CoE.
2. Each unit: will work to develop content-specific assignment/assessment and evaluation mechanism to meet their SPA needs.
Important Dates Event Location
June 20 Classes End first 6 weeks June 21-22 Finals June 27 Grades due first 6 week classes at noon June 27 Classes Begin 2nd 6 weeks July 4 Independence Day Recess July 18 Fall Staffing Plans due 5:00
Aug. 8 Classes End 2nd 6 and 12 weeks Aug. 9-10 Finals 2nd 6 and 12 week Aug. 15 Grades due 2nd 6 and 12 week at noon Aug 15 Unit Alignment to CLAS Strategic Plan CLAS Dean's office Aug. 17 & 18 New Faculty Orientation KC & DEV Aug. 17 CLAS New Faculty Social Alumni House Aug. 23 Unit Head Retreat 324/330 KEN Aug. 24 FTLC Conference EC, 8:30-2:00 Aug. 25 CLAS Faculty and Staff Meeting TBA-followed by lunch Aug. 26 Convocation Field House Aug. 29 Fall 2011 Classes Begin Sept. 5 Labor Day Recess Sept. 16 Grandparents, Grandkids, and Grand Valley (S2012) - deadline for faculty signups
Sept. 16 CLAS Faculty Research Colloquium, 2:30-5:00pm 308 PAD