Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 9-24-13
For Unit Heads
Award nomination forms and support materials are due to the CLAS Dean's Office (B-4-232 MAK) by October 1st.
For Unit Heads
We received the following email message on September 16, 2013:
Please be aware of a change in process in Human Resources for putting part time instructors and overload contracts into Banner. Effective Winter 2014, ONLY signed appointment letters are to be sent to Human Resources for processing. No appointments will be entered into Banner without a signed appointment letter. Also, please be aware that the signed letters will need to be received in Human Resources in a timely fashion so that parking permits, blackboard, e-mail, payroll, etc. are able to be processed. I will continue to send you an email when each semester appointment letters are due in our office.
Please contact me with any questions.
Bonnie J. Maka
Human Resources Specialist
In the past, our office sent a copy of the initial unsigned offer letter to HRO and it was loaded into payroll right away. This is no longer the case.
What impact does this new change in HRO procedures have on CLAS?
- Part time faculty members, or faculty with overload contracts, must return a signed copy to the CLAS Dean's office or they cannot be paid.
- Our office can now initiate the offer to faculty prior to the completion of the I9 form and EAP approval to teach forms. When we receive those signed contracts back, we will match them to the completed I9 and EAP approval forms and move them over to HRO to load into payroll.
- For W14 contracts, we will maintain our normal Nov 15th deadline for staffing plans. With our new improved database system we hope to be able to turn around the contracts in a timely fashion and will not have to move up your deadline for staffing plans based on the most recent change in HRO procedures noted above.
- The burden will fall to part time faculty members to sign and return those contracts (I9 and EAP approval to teach forms) to not only initiate payroll, but Blackboard, Email, parking permits, etc.
- In the past, you were given an unsigned version of the contract when it was sent to the faculty member. We will no longer send you that version, but will send you the signed version.
If you have any questions, please contact me.
Thank you for allowing me to share our experience with G3: Grandparents, Grand kids, Grand Valley with you at the Unit Head meeting. We are excited about this opportunity to bring young and old together for an engaging educational experience on the Grand Valley campus. Attached are the documents that were distributed at the meeting. These documents are also available on the Regional Math and Science Center website at www.gvsu.edu/rmsc (click on G3 call for presenters under "Upcoming Events").
Please forward this information on to faculty and staff in your units that may have an interest in offering a session or assisting us with this camp in some way. If you have any questions about or ideas for G3, we would appreciate hearing from you.
Sept. 24 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: James W. Carey Memorial Lecture (3rd annual) Speaker : Brent Malin Loosemore Auditorium; 7:00pm
Sept. 25 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm Sept. 25 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Vietnam Veterans Share Their Stories--Send the Marines! 7pm Loosemore Auditorium
Sept. 26 Fall Sabbatical Forum 3:30-5:00pm, 308 PAD
Sept. 27 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Opening Night: GVSU Shakespeare Festival--Much Ado
Sept. 30 Requests for promotion or early tenure forms are due Submit to Dean's Office, B-4-232 MAK Oct. 1 Budget Requests for 2014-15 due Submit to Dean's Office, B-4-232 MAK Oct. 1 FTLC and CSCE Award materials due CLAS Dean's Office, B-4-232 MAK; Electronic file to Courtney Sherwood firstname.lastname@example.org
Oct. 1 Research Clusters Grant proposals due email@example.com
Oct. 1 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Reading by Roxane Gay
Oct. 2 Online ANNUAL SCHEDULE available Deadline for round 1 TBA Oct. 2 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Vietnam Veterans Share Their Stories--The Army and Special Forces Go In
Oct. 2 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: HOMERathon 4: a twenty-four hour reading of Homer's Iliad
Oct. 9 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm Oct. 7-12 Mid-term Exams Oct. 11-12 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Great Lakes History Conference --"Collisions and Encounters: Migrations in a Global Perspective, 15th Century to the Present"
Oct. 15 Mid-term grades are due before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time
Oct. 15 Faculty Sabbatical proposals due to unit Oct. 15 2013 Facilities Requests Form Due Facilities Request Form
Oct. 15 GVSU Fall Career Fair DeVos Place Convention Center - Grand Rapids; 1:00-5:00pm
Oct. 17 & 18 CLAS Distinguished Alumni-in-Residence Program (luncheon by invitation only) Keesha Hardiman
Oct. 18 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: The CLAS Faculty Research Colloquium will take place from 2:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. 308 PAD
Oct. 19 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: CLAS Mindgating at Homecoming
Oct. 23 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm
Oct. 25 Drop Deadline - grade W
Oct. 25 Promotion materials due to the Dean's Office
Oct. 25 Winter 2014 textbook orders are due to UBS
Nov. 1 Sabbatical proposals due to Dean's Office