Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 6-5-12
For Unit Heads
Time is getting short, and this is just a reminder that you can still sign up for the golf benefit that will begin the funding of a CLAS undergraduate scholarship. CLAS on the Green will take place the afternoon of June 20, and will be capped off by a cookout. It's a scramble, so it won't really matter if your game is rusty because of all the work you've been doing. If you'd like to just come to the cookout, you can do that. If you'd prefer not to golf but would like to contribute, we need volunteers to do strenuous tasks like monitor the hole-in-one contest. If you don't have playing partners, we can fix you up with other players in a similar situation. Please don't let the opportunity to have fun and help a student pass you by; go to http://www.gvsu.edu/clas/clas-on-the-green-382.htm and sign up today! Thanks in advance, and hit 'em straight!
The Regional Math and Science Center is looking for Volunteers for Grand Valley State University's very first Grandparent Camp (G3).
The time commitment is not tremendous, a few hours (more if you choose).
We need help with:
- Assisting grandparent/grandkid campers with moving into the living center.
- Directing campers around campus
- Assisting professors with sessions. (most are 1.5 hours long, some are 3 hours long)
- Assisting grandparent/grandkid campers with moving out of the living center.
If you or anyone you know is interested in helping, please contact Michelle Bunton via email at email@example.com or call (616) 331-3172.Thanks so much!
3. President's Honor Roll (attachment)
The University has begun gathering information for the 2011-2012 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. Last year, Grand Valley's level of recognition was raised. This is due, in part, to the great work and initiative of CLAS faculty and staff. Thank you for providing these activities for our students. We would like each of you to share again those activities related to this award. Please take this opportunity to report your activities by providing the information in the attached table.
There is a table provided below to assist you in reporting information on service-learning (including internships and fieldwork) and co-curricular activities. GVSU has now created its definition of high impact practices. These definitions and descriptions were provided by the Provost's Office and new this year are the inclusion of capstone courses and SWS courses as high impact. Please feel free to contact Mary Schutten 1-2495 for further information about this process.
The definitions used to categorize the information needed are the following:
- Academic service-learning (service that is integrated with academic course content and may include research, internships, capstone, SWS, learning communities, diversity/global learning etc.);
- Co-curricular service-learning (not part of an academic course, but utilizing service-learning elements). Don't forget about student club activities here.
- Direct service vs. Indirect service - direct service for example may be providing food for the needy, while indirect may be assessing community nutrition needs.
- Community Partnerships- A focus on collaborative interactions with community and related scholarship for the mutually beneficial exchange, exploration, and application of knowledge, information and resources (research, capacity building, economic development, etc.)
This Office created a database of last year's submissions and will be sending the unit head the entire unit report with current student enrollments updated to 2012 next week. You may wish to check that report and update that or you may wish to submit your information as you did last year with the attached form.
Thank you for all you do for our students.
For Unit Heads
Thank you to all units for your thoughtful work on evaluating possible courses for transfer.. Given the current climate and context in Michigan-growing competition for transfer students, students "shopping" between institutions that will give them the most transfer credit, state oversight of transfer course credits, etc.-we needed to take a look at our practices and to give credit, including specific credit, wherever we reasonably can as a way to support our students.
June 4 No Credit Transfer Courses results due Associate Dean Mary Schutten firstname.lastname@example.org
June 18 Classes End 1st 6 weeks June 19-20 Final Exams June 20 CLAS on the Green Golf Outing - to benefit new CLAS Scholarship http://gvsu.edu/clas/clas-on-the-green-382.htm
June 25 Grades due 1st 6 week classes before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time June 25 Classes Begin 2nd 6 weeks July 4 Independence Day Recess - offices closed July 16 by noon Fall staffing plans due to Cindy Laug email@example.com
July 24 Fall draft contracts hand delivered to UH July 25 by 5:00pm Fall contracts due to Dean's Office Cindy Laug Aug. 3 Classes End 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks Aug. 6-7 Final Exams Aug. 6 Submission deadline for Issues course proposals Aug. 13 Grades due 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time Aug. 15 & 16 New Faculty Orientation Aug. 21 Unit Head Retreat TBA Aug. 22 FTLC Conference EC Aug. 23 CLAS Faculty and Staff Meeting TBA Aug. 24 Convocation Field House Aug. 27 Fall 2011 Classes Begin