Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 6-19-12
For Unit Heads
For those involved in K-12 Teacher Preparation: The Michigan Department of Education, Office of Professional Preparation Services (MDE-OPPS) is pleased to announce that the newly revised Teacher Certification Code administrative rules have been filed with the Office of the Great Seal and became effective on May 18, 2012.
Over the past three years several new school reform laws were passed by the Legislature. In order to reflect these new laws, the Teacher Certification Code was revised. Public Hearings were held around the state to receive public comment regarding the Teacher Certification Code administrative rules.
To view a copy of the revised Teacher Certification Code administrative rules, please visit our website at:
For questions regarding these rules, please contact the OPPS at (517) 373-3310.
Cordially, Mary C. Schutten, PED
For Unit Heads
As soon as you have your departmental event title, room, date, time of start and finish, and a brief description I can post it on the CLAS online calendar and the GVSU online calendar. Events cannot be posted without these details. Email email@example.com .
The online grade submission process has a hard deadline of noon on Monday, June 25
- SP/SU grades are due before noon on Mondays (not Tuesdays as in Fall and Winter).
- Students for whom no grade has been submitted will find an NR (not recorded) and faculty will need to fill out change of grade forms for each of these students immediately.
The non-entry of grades will be very detrimental to students who may lose their academic standing which could result in their Fall 2012 classes being dropped and/or adversely impact financial aid and/or academic standing. By the time the grade is changed and they are in good standing, there will be no more seats in the classes.
- Action: To avoid unanticipated glitches with this timeline, please encourage all new faculty (especially adjuncts) to familiarize themselves with the online grading system (Banner) ahead of time. Perhaps the unit head or faculty mentors can be available for questions - or direct the new faculty to Elyse Glass in Records for assistance. Remember working ahead of time is the key.
- Action: Each failing grade must be accompanied by a date of last academic activity. If a date is not entered, submission of the entire class list for that course will fail. Please be sure to enter that date. Additional information about the LDAA as well as reference documentation for online grading in Banner can be located at: http://www.gvsu.edu/registrar/last-date-of-academic-activity-process-31.htm
- Action: Please ask all faculty to double check their submission of grades to make sure all students received a grade. In past semesters, many faculty thought they were finished when one or two students were missing a grade.
Thank you again for assuring that grade submission is an accurate, timely process.
June 19-20 Final Exams June 20 CLAS on the Green Golf Outing - to benefit new CLAS Scholarship http://gvsu.edu/clas/clas-on-the-green-382.htm
June 25 Grades due 1st 6 week classes before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time June 25 Classes Begin 2nd 6 weeks July 4 Independence Day Recess - offices closed July 16 by noon Fall staffing plans due to Cindy Laug firstname.lastname@example.org
July 24 Fall draft contracts hand delivered to UH July 25 by 5:00pm Fall contracts due to Dean's Office Cindy Laug Aug. 3 Classes End 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks Aug. 6-7 Final Exams Aug. 6 Submission deadline for Issues course proposals Aug. 13 Grades due 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time Aug. 15 & 16 New Faculty Orientation Aug. 21 Unit Head Retreat 324/330 KEN Aug. 22 FTLC Conference EC Aug. 23 CLAS Faculty and Staff Meeting TBA Aug. 24 Convocation Field House Aug. 27 Fall 2011 Classes Begin