Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 6-18-13
For Unit Heads
A last date of academic activity (LDAA) is required for students receiving a grade of 'F' or 'NC'. ('NC' is a no-credit grade for a course graded credit/no credit). Failure to include the LDAA has resulted in the loss of all grades assigned for that course. General information on how the date is to be determined and how to input it is located at this link that is provided in the grading instructions from the Records Office: http://www.gvsu.edu/registrar/ldaa.
Action: Please remind your faculty:
- that the grade submission day for spring and summer is before noon on Monday.
- to double check their submission of grades to make sure all students received a grade and that a LDAA is provided . In past semesters, many faculty thought they were finished when grades were missing.
Thank you again for assuring that grade submission is an accurate, timely process.
( Attachment )
This year has presented several opportunities and challenges. One opportunity has been provided us by the number of students engaging in experiential learning opportunities in CLAS-the highest ever. And a challenge that emerged--the students who participate in out-of-state experiential learning (internship, clinical, externship, research etc.). Given the current climate and context in higher education-growing competition for students, students "shopping" between institutions, online programming used to entice learners to institutions-the Provost's Office must gather additional types of data related to GVSU's "reach" into other states. The university must determine how many Grand Valley students are engaging in learning experiences in each of the United States on an annual basis.
The list of states and the two questions to answer are attached in an Excel spreadsheet:
- Please place the numbers of students by state who, in the last year, were engaged in experiential learning (internship, clinical, research, externship etc.) Please fill in numbers only for those states that hosted Grand Valley students.
- N.B. Taking an out-of-state online course does not fall into the category of experiential learning.
- If any of the placements were associated with a federal program, please list the number of these placements in the second column next to the appropriate state.
- Save the spreadsheet with the unit name and return.
Please return your completed electronic file to Associate Dean Mary Schutten by July 12, 2013.Thank you for your assistance with this important-and now annual--task.
June 18-19 Final Exams June 19 CLAS on the Green Scholarship benefit golf outing The Meadows Golf Course
June 24 Grades due 1st 6 week classes before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time
June 24 Classes begin 2nd 6 weeks June 25-27 G3 Camp G3 Camp
July 1 10th Anniversary of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences begins
July 4 Independence Day Recess - offices closed July 12 Request for Out of State Experiential Learning Sites Due Associate Dean Mary Schutten ( email@example.com)
July 17 by 5pm Fall staffing plans completed Send notice to Cindy Laug ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
July 26 Fall draft contracts hand delivered to Unit Heads July 29 at noon Fall contracts due to Dean's Office Cindy Laug Aug.2 Classes end 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks Aug. 5-6 Final Exams Aug. 12 Grades due 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time
Aug. 13 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Putting the Green in Next Generation Science Standards Contacts Dalila Kovacs and Andrew Lantz
Aug. 14 & 15 New Faculty Orientation Aug. 20 Unit Head Retreat Mary Idema Pew Library , Multipurpose Room
Aug. 21 FTLC Conference 8:30am - 3:00pm; Eberhard Conference Center
Aug. 22 CLAS Faculty and Staff Meeting 9:30am, Louis Armstrong Theatre, Performing Arts Center Aug. 23 Convocation 11am; Field House
Aug. 26 Fall 2013 Classes Begin