Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 6-12-12
For Unit Heads
[CLAS faculty considering this opportunity should notify Gary Stark.]
From: Robert Smart, PhD, Executive Director, Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence
Christine Chamberlain, Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
The National Endowment for the Humanities has announced its guidelines for the Summer Stipends 2013 grant proposals. As in the past, faculty members teaching full-time must be nominated by their institutions in order to apply for a NEH Summer Stipend. Up to two faculty members may be nominated by each institution.
The deadline for GVSU's nomination to the NEH is September 27, 2012.
A copy of the complete NEH announcement is attached. ( http://www.neh.gov/grants/research/summer-stipends)
The NEH guidelines require that each institution announce its nominating procedures to all prospective applicants. Any faculty member is eligible for nomination. Therefore, we are requesting that each college develop and post its own guidelines for potential applicants. A sample of the guidelines developed last year by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is attached. Each college may recommend up to two faculty members to the Provost for final nomination. The Provost will make the determination on the final two GVSU NEH Summer Stipend nominees. The review criteria are as follows:
- the intellectual significance of the proposed project, including its value to humanities scholars, general audiences, or both
- the quality or promise of quality of the nominee as an interpreter of the humanities
- the quality of the conception, definition, organization, and description of the project and the nominee's clarity of expression
- the feasibility of the proposed plan of work, including, when appropriate, the soundness of the dissemination and access plans
- the likelihood that the nominee will complete the project
We are requesting that the Deans' final recommendations (including the complete NEH application) be submitted to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) no later than 5:00 pm August 17, 2012. OSP will collate and prepare the applications for the Provost's review and nomination. The final two GVSU nominees will be notified by September 13, 2012.
Applicants exempt from nomination
The following individuals may apply online without a nomination:
- independent scholars not affiliated with a college or university
- college or university staff members who are not faculty members and will not be teaching during the academic year preceding the award tenure
- emeritus faculty
- adjunct faculty, part-time faculty, and applicants with academic appointments that terminate by the summer of the award tenure
For Unit Heads
This year the Unit Head Retreat will be held on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 in KEN 324/330. More details to follow.
This is to inform you that New Faculty Orientation for Fall 2012 will be held on:
Wednesday, August 15
7:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
(AM - Kirkhof Center; PM - The Connection)
Thursday, August 16
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
(AM - Eberhard Center; PM - DeVos Center)
Pew Grand Rapids Campus
Please note these dates on your calendar. We also ask that you not schedule any daytime college or department meetings on these two dates. The draft orientation agenda is attached.
Important Dates Event Location
June 18 Classes End 1st 6 weeks
June 19-20 Final Exams
June 20 CLAS on the Green Golf Outing - to benefit new CLAS Scholarship http://gvsu.edu/clas/clas-on-the-green-382.htm
June 25 Grades due 1st 6 week classes before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time
June 25 Classes Begin 2nd 6 weeks
July 4 Independence Day Recess - offices closed
July 16 by noon Fall staffing plans due to Cindy Laug
July 24 Fall draft contracts hand delivered to UH
July 25 by 5:00pm Fall contracts due to Dean's Office Cindy Laug
Aug. 3 Classes End 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks
Aug. 6-7 Final Exams
Aug. 6 Submission deadline for Issues course proposals
Aug. 13 Grades due 2nd 6 weeks and 12 weeks before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time
Aug. 15 & 16 New Faculty Orientation
Aug. 21 Unit Head Retreat 324/330 KEN
Aug. 22 FTLC Conference EC
Aug. 23 CLAS Faculty and Staff Meeting TBA Aug. 24 Convocation Field House
Aug. 27 Fall 2011 Classes Begin