Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 10-8-13
For Unit Heads
1. Grandparents/Grandkids/Grand Valley Camp 2014, New Pricing (attachment)
Attached please find information about the Grandparents/Grandkids/Grand Valley Camp for 2014. A great gift for family members or you may want to join in the fun as a teacher of a 90 minute session. For more information, contact Margo Dill (RMSC) on 1-2267.
Midterm Grading opened on Monday, October 7, 2013. This is an important student support process. Midterm grades are required for all freshmen and for undergraduate students classified as less than good standing. Only those students who require a midterm grade will be listed on the Banner grade sheet so please be sure to check to see if there are students in your courses who need a midterm grade. Midterm grades are due before 12:00 noon on Tuesday, October 15, 2013.
Event Date/Time: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 from 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Event Location: Kirkhof Center, Grand River Room 2250
Event Target Audience: Current GVSU Students
Academic Department Participation - Be sure your Department is represented!
- Needed - Academic Department faculty members and academic advisors to host a department table at the Majors Fair.
- Desirable - Unit contributions toward event total budget of $4500 (includes: food and advertising). To support the Majors Fair send an IDC or Journal Entry Request Form with your contribution to the Pre-major Advising Program in the Student Academic Success Center, 200 STU.
To reserve your Department Table at the Majors Fair, please submit the hosts' names to Sulari White, director of the Pre-major Advising Program, by email at email@example.com or by phone Ext. 1-3588. Please RSVP by October 12th.
Majors Fair Overview:
The Majors Fair is designed to support the University's goal to retain students and reduce time to graduation by offering an opportunity for students to explore major choice options with faculty from various departments across the University. This format provides an informal way for students to engage with faculty members to discuss major choices and future career opportunities. The format will include individual department tables hosted by faculty and academic advisors where information about the department and majors can be shared and displayed. We will again invite alumni to participate since this gives students an opportunity to network and learn about the world of work.
Majors Fair Objectives:
- Provide information about academic majors to current GVSU students who are pre-major (undecided), are considering changing majors, or are considering secondary and competitive admission programs and need a parallel plan
- Assist students in choosing a major so they can declare and set up an academic plan earlier, preferably before scheduling classes for 2013-2014 academic year
- Provide a less formal environment for students to talk to faculty, professional staff, and alumni about majors and career options
- Provide an opportunity for students to learn more about high impact learning opportunities and career opportunities related to specific majors from faculty members, Career Services, and the Counseling and Career Development Center
Recommended items to bring for department table:
- Curriculum guides and departmental brochures
- Written description of the major (and minor)
- List of possible careers available for this major
- GVSU catalog
The two student organizations in Geography and Planning recently were approved in their funding for a one-day bus trip to Detroit, Oct. 11, open to teachers, students and staff of GVSU. They have 18 seats remaining in a really high quality, inexpensive ($10), one-day tour of that city. We hired an urban planner who has contacts in non-profit and community groups throughout Detroit; she will lead the tour as we ride in a fully-equipped coach bus, making stops to talk and walk around with experts and community members at key locations for learning about housing solutions, urban agriculture, small business growth and even the status of Belle Isle.
The date of the trip is Friday, October 11, and we'll meet in the parking lot of Mackinac Hall (D Lot) at 6:45 a.m. and return by 8:30 p.m. More details on the trip and an explanation of how to reserve a seat can be found on the trip website: http://www.gvsu.edu/urbanplanners/you-are-invited-to--5.htm
Patricia Houser, Advisor to the Urban Planning Association
Department of Geography and Planning
5. Morris K. Udall Scholarship Information Session - From the Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships (attachment)
Attached is a flyer about the upcoming Udall Information session to be held on Wednesday, October 23rd. If you can't make an info session but want to learn more, please call the Frederik Meijer Office of Fellowships at 616.331.2699 or stop by 230 Mary Idema Pew Library to schedule an appointment with a fellowships advisor.
For Unit Heads
There was a strong response to my idea about moving the Unit Head Retreat to the week earlier. Almost everyone favored keeping it where it is (but making it a little shorter). That's what we'll do. Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. ~Fred
Oct. 7-12 Mid-term Exams Oct. 9 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm Oct. 11-12 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: Great Lakes History Conference --"Collisions and Encounters: Migrations in a Global Perspective, 15th Century to the Present"
Oct. 15 Mid-term grades are due before noon Banner and Blackboard close at this time
Oct. 15 Faculty Sabbatical proposals due to unit Oct. 15 2013 Facilities Requests Form Due Facilities Request Form
Oct. 15 GVSU Fall Career Fair DeVos Place Convention Center - Grand Rapids; 1:00-5:00pm
Oct. 17 & 18 CLAS Distinguished Alumni-in-Residence Program (luncheon by invitation only) Keesha Hardiman
Oct. 18 ANNUAL SCHEDULE - Round 1 Due Email Cindy Laug
Oct.18 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: "Against the Tide: Immigrants, Day Laborers, and Community in Jupiter, Florida" Noon-1pm Niemeyer Multipurpose Room
Oct. 18 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: The CLAS Faculty Research Colloquium will take place from 2:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. 308 PAD
Oct. 19 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: CLAS Mindgating at Homecoming
Oct. 23 Out of the Box Event 11:30am - 1:30pm
Oct. 23 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm
Oct. 25 Drop Deadline - grade W
Oct. 25 Promotion materials due to the Dean's Office
Oct. 25 Winter 2014 textbook orders are due to UBS
Oct. 31 Out of the Box Event
Nov. 1 Sabbatical proposals due to Dean's Office
Nov. 6 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm
Nov. 15 Staffing Plans for Winter 2014 due To Cindy Laug Nov. 15 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: The CLAS Faculty Research Colloquium will take place from 2:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. 308 PAD
Nov. 25 CLAS Teaching Roundtables 11am - 12:30pm; Pere Marquette Room (2204 KC)
Nov. 27 No classes; Offices Open
Nov. 28-29 Thanksgiving Recess