Unit Head and Faculty Weekly Mailing 10-29-13
For Unit Heads
At a recent meeting, Dean Collins of the College Education noted that Grand Valley has once again achieved "exemplary" status through the Michigan Department of Education's annual evaluation process. This marks the 7th year out of the 7 years of rankings where we have achieved this ranking. GVSU tied for its 68/70 score with UM and are #1 in the state for institutions our size. One sizeable area of the scoring relates to the pass rates for the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification content area tests (MTTC). All CLAS programs are reporting pass rates that are above the state average. In a time when teacher preparation is nationally criticized, it is wonderful to celebrate success such as this. Thank you to all the programs for your continued efforts to develop tomorrow's teachers.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences invites you to participate in our 2013 Teaching Roundtables which will take place Monday, November 25th from 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. in the Pere Marquette Room (2204 KC). Below are the six topics of discussion and sign up information will be available soon. Registration is required: http://gvsu.edu/clas/clas-teaching-roundtables-264.htm . Lunch provided.
- "Creating a Supportive and Engaging Environment in Introductory Courses - Helping Students Persist and Succeed" - Shannon Biros and Thomas Pentecost (Chemistry Department)
- "Game-playing Across the Disciplines: How Roles and Victory Objectives can Deepen Students' Ability to Explore Complexity" - Gretchen Galbraith (History Department)
- "The Undergraduate Student Thesis: Understanding the Major and Showcasing Scholarship" - Amy Masko and Corinna McLeod (English Department)
- "The Distance Between Us" (the 2013-2014 Community Reading Project selection) - Jo Miller and Lisa Miller (English Department and Center for Adult and Continuing Studies)
- "Support and Accountability: Developing Research Projects for Millennials" - Michelle Miller-Adams (Political Science Department)
- "Designing for Lifelong Learning Using the Inverted Classroom" - Robert Talbert (Mathematics Department)
Faculty are reminded of an e-mail sent October 15 containing the Position Announcement for CLAS Associate Dean for Faculty Resources and Scheduling.
Applications are due November 4, 2013. If you have any questions, please contact the search committee chair Mark Richards ( email@example.com).
For Unit Heads
A spring cleaning item that could move a lot of dust bunnies, figuratively speaking: did you ever wonder if there were ways to improve your departmental meetings? GRCC shares its seminar series, including Best Practices for Effective Meetings, with GVSU faculty and staff .
Important Dates Event Location
Oct. 31 Out of the Box Event Registration required. Hosted by Faculty Council. Catering numbers have been given. 11:30am - 1:30pm
Nov. 1 Sabbatical approvals due to Dean
Nov. 4 CLAS Associate Dean for Faculty Resources and Scheduling applications are due November 4, 2013. If you have any questions, please contact the search committee chair Mark Richards ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nov. 6 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC; 3:00-5:00pm
Nov. 15 Staffing Plans for Winter 2014 due Email notice to Cindy Laug when complete.
Nov. 15 CLAS 10th Anniversary Celebration is proud to announce: The CLAS Faculty Research Colloquium will take place from 2:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. 308 PAD
Nov. 25 CLAS Teaching Roundtables 11am - 12:30pm; Pere Marquette Room (2204 KC)
Nov. 27 No classes; Offices open
Nov. 28-29 Thanksgiving Recess
Dec. 4 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC
Dec. 5 GVSU Service Award Holiday Party 3:00-5:00pm Grand River Room, KC
Dec. 7 Commencement Van Andel Arena
Dec. 7 Awards of Distinction Scholarship Competition CLAS Contact is Heidi email@example.com
Dec. 9 Banner opens for final grading
Dec. 9-14 Final Exam Week
Dec. 10 CLAS Holiday Open House 11:30am - 2:00pm; Pere Marquette Room (2204 KC)
Dec. 10 Cook Carillon Tower Holiday Open House 1:30-3:00pm; Carillon Tower Plaza (Allendale)
Dec. 17 Grades due from faculty before noon
Dec. 18 Unit Head Meeting 2215/2216 KC
Dec. 23 College Offices Close at 5pm until January 2nd
Jan. 2 Offices Open
Jan. 6 Classes Begin