College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Monica Johnstone, PhD
Title: Director of CLAS Communications and Advancement
Office: B-4-232 MAK
- CLAS website administration
- Promotion of CLAS faculty, staff, and student achievements and events
- CLAS alumni relations
- Staffing for CLAS Faculty Council
- Ex officio CLAS Staff Advisory Committee
- Assist the Dean with CLAS Student Advisory Committee
- Assist the Dean with CLAS Alumni Board
- CLAS Acts faculty newsletter editor
- Quadrennial Report and annual report editor
- Occasional teaching
- Tailored distribution of news clips and grant announcements
- Chair of the Administrative Professional Committee (elected)
- Advisory committee of Grandparents, Grandkids, Grand Valley
- Accessibility Impediments Taskforce (AP Committee rep)
- CLAS on the Green golf outing advisory committee
- Inclusion Advocate, ODK, Vet Net Ally, ULead 2013
- Tasks as assigned by the Dean
With a background spanning academe, development and industry, Monica brings a broad perspective to the college’s communications, both internal and external. Her mission is to produce expanded offerings on the website, targeted publications, and improvements to communications with students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of CLAS.
Monica was the recipient of the Levi Strauss Scholarship and the Charles Mills Gayle Fellowship and worked for the UC Berkeley Foundation during a major capital campaign.
After receiving her PhD in Rhetoric from the University of California at Berkeley in 1987, Monica taught writing and public speaking at Loyola College in Baltimore and at Assumption University in Bangkok, Thailand. Monica is the author of several publications including refereed articles, travel writing, short fiction, OpEd pieces, annual reports and book reviews. She has given speeches on four continents.
From 1995-2006, she worked for a national industry association as speechwriter, editor-in-chief, webmaster, events planner, and systems administrator. She also served for three years on an elected board for a 1,000-member arts guild.
Her textile works frequently appear in a juried exhibitions such as Artprize, AQS, and Fiber577 and in collections including the GVSU permanent collection. Her 80" by 80" work Roman Glass will appear in the August-November 2016 exhibition Circular Abstratctions at the Muskegon Museum of Art.
Monica is an Inclusion Advocate, was the recipient of the 2015 CLAS Administrative and recieved the Professional Service Award and the GVSU 2010 Administrative Professional Commitment to Diversity Award. At GVSU, she has taught ENG 340 Studies in Drama, WRT 350 Business Communication, COM 202 Critical Interpretation, and COM 201 Speech.
Page last modified November 16, 2015