Monica Johnstone, PhD
Title: Director of CLAS Communications and Advancement
Office: B-4-232 MAK
- CLAS website administration
- Promotion of CLAS faculty, staff, and student achievements and events
- CLAS alumni relations
- Staffing for CLAS Faculty Council
- Ex officio CLAS Staff Advisory Committee
- Assist the Dean with CLAS Student Advisory Committee
- Assist the Dean with CLAS Alumni Board
- CLAS Acts TT faculty newsletter editor
- The CLAS Teacher AFF, VIS and PT faculty newsletter editor
- Quadrennial Report and annual report editor
- Occasional teaching
- Tailored distribution of news clips and grant announcements
- Accessibility Taskforce Chair (AP Committee rep)
- GVSU Retirees Committee
- Shakespeare Festival Committee
- CLAS on the Green golf outing advisory committee
- Inclusion Advocate, ODK, Vet Net Ally, ULead 2013
- Graduate Faculty approved April 2017
- Tasks as assigned by the Dean
With a background spanning academe, development and industry, Monica brings a broad perspective to the college's communications, both internal and external. Her mission is to produce expanded offerings on the website, targeted publications, and improvements to communications with students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of CLAS.
Monica was the recipient of the Levi Strauss Scholarship, the Charles Mills Gayle Fellowship, and a graduate teaching award and worked for the UC Berkeley Foundation during a major capital campaign.
After receiving her PhD in Rhetoric from the University of California at Berkeley in 1987, Monica taught writing and public speaking at Loyola College in Baltimore and at Assumption University in Bangkok, Thailand. Monica is the author of several publications including refereed articles, travel writing, short fiction, OpEd pieces, annual reports and book reviews. She has given speeches in four countries.
From 1995-2006, she worked for a national industry association in Sydney, Australia as speechwriter, editor-in-chief, webmaster, events planner, and systems administrator. She also served for three years on an elected board for a 1,000-member arts guild.
Her textile works frequently appear in a juried exhibitions such as Artprize, AQS, and Fiber577 and in collections including the GVSU permanent collection. Her 80" by 80" work Roman Glass appeared in the August-November 2016 exhibition Circular Abstratctions at the Muskegon Museum of Art and is touring to venues such as Decorative Arts Center of Ohio, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center (NY), Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, and Westmoreland Museum of American Art (PA). Another work, Patina: Ancient Amphora is currently part of the international touring exhibition A Matter of Time. In 2016, her work Red Shift received the National Association of Certified Quilt Judges Award of Merit.
Monica is an approved Graduate Faculty member, an Inclusion Advocate, has undergone QPR training, was the recipient of the 2016 Service to Community PRIDE Award, the 2015 CLAS Administrative and Professional Service Award ,and the GVSU 2010 Administrative Professional Commitment to Diversity Award. At GVSU, she has taught ENG 340 Studies in Drama, WRT 350 Business Communication, COM 202 Critical Interpretation, and COM 201 Speech.
In fall 2016 she became a Laker Mom.