College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Title: Lab Safety Specialist
Office: 322A The Seymour and Esther Padnos Hall of Science
- Oversees safety in research and academic activities at the University
- Acts as the University Chemical Hygiene Officer, Radiation Safety Officer. and Biosafety Officer.
- Ensures compliance with environmental, health, and safety regulations and interacts with regulatory agencies as necessary.
- Supports hazard assessments and safe operating procedures for faculty and staff.
- Reviews and enforces safety policies, making revisions as necessary
- Manages hazardous waste disposal for academic and research buildings
- Conducts safety training sessions for faculty, staff and students
- Oversees emergency preparedness and incident responses in labs, studios, shops, classrooms, and field studies.
- Participates as needed on University committees where consideration of safety, health, and environmental issues are necessary.
- Supports CLAS sustainability efforts.
Jim Seufert joined Grand Valley in 2009 to coordinate safety and environmental programs for the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Prior to his work with the University Jim worked 10 years managing regulatory affairs for Universal Forest Products, Inc. and he spent 4 years enforcing environmental health and sanitation regulations for Kent County and Hamilton County (IN) Health Departments.
Jim’s work at Grand Valley focuses primarily on addressing safety and health hazards in academic and research activities. In addition, he provides training and support for faculty, staff and students to work safely in the labs, shops, studios, and field studies. He is the University’s Chemical Hygiene Officer, Radiation Safety Officer, and Biosafety Officer. Jim also serves on numerous committees within the university, and works to ensure compliance with the various health, safety, and environmental regulations affecting the University’s research and academic activities.
Jim is originally from Indianapolis and received his BS in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences from Purdue University. He is a Registered Environmental Health Specialist and actively participates in various industry associations.
In his free time Jim enjoys spending time with his wife and 3 very active boys. On rare occasions he might have time to enjoy his other interests such as golf, cycling, and skiing.
Page last modified April 29, 2016