School of Criminal Justice
Legal Studies Major
The Legal Studies Major
1. Mastery of substantive knowledge critical to the legal profession, including principles of legal ethics and legal restrictions on the unauthorized practice of law;
2. Critical thinking skills;
3. Mastery of basic investigative and legal research techniques;
4. Proficiency in oral and written communication;
5. Development of appropriate professional behavior and job-seeking skills.
Paralegals need to be able to think logically and analytically, to present facts and conclusions in a clear, concise manner, to write effectively, to utilize ingenuity during fact-finding, and to exercise good judgment. All of these skills can be nurtured and perfected within the academic environment offered here at Grand Valley State University.
Legal Studies Student Survey:
Current GVSU Legal Studies students: The Legal Studies program and Career Services have developed a survey on student interests to help inform program planning and student development. The survey takes only a couple of minutes to complete. Please go to the link here and share your interests and needs. Thanks in advance for being part of this planning and development process.
Page last modified July 18, 2012