College of Community & Public Service Advising Center
Welcome to Transfer Student Orientation & Registration
Thank you for making a reservation for your incoming transfer student advising/registration session. Please refer to the confirmation email you received from the admissions office regarding your specific time for this session. If you no longer have that email you will need to contact the admissions office at 616-331-2025 or 800-748-0246 as it contains several pieces of information that you will need.
Your session is planned to last 2-2.5 hours so please plan your schedule accordingly.
Parking and Directions
Due to the major you selected at the time of your reservation, your appointment is scheduled with the College of Community & Public Service Undergraduate Advising Center (map and parking details) on the Pew/Grand Rapids campus. You will need to print the parking permit provided in your confirmation email and bring it with you as you are required to display the permit in all GVSU parking lots.
What to bring with you
- Unofficial Transcripts - it’s very important that you bring an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) with you including any course work that is currently in progress. This way we can be sure you do not register for any duplicate work at GVSU. You will be required to follow up with an official transcript for the credits to be added to your GVSU record.
- Network Letter – you should have received a letter from Information Technology with all of your usernames and passwords on it to access GVSU technology systems. Please bring this with you to aid in your access to your academic record.
How to Prepare
- Please prepare for your session to ensure that you will gain the most from it and leave with your questions answered.
What to expect
- Meeting with an Academic Advisor - The orientation/registration will take place in a small group or individual setting and will be led by an academic advisor. We will review your transfer work, provide information regarding your academic requirements, and determine an appropriate schedule for the upcoming year. There will also be plenty of opportunity for you to ask questions!
- Review University & Major Information – the session will include the important information you will need to know to begin a successful transition to GVSU
Registration – you will register for all active semesters at the time of your appointment. Be prepared to spend the time to get the schedule you need at this session with the assistance of the advising staff. You should plan for at least 2 – 2.5 hours for your session. Plan your orientation reservation accordingly.
- Spring/Summer Admission – register for spring/summer, fall and winter
- Fall Admission – register for fall and winter
- Winter Admission – register for winter
- Guests will be invited to a future event - Since you may be meeting in small groups with other students, we will have limited seating available in your session. Guests will be asked to explore the Pew campus or have a seat in our reception area while you are in your advising/registration session. You and your family/guests will be invited to attend a future event to orient you to the university at a later date.
If you need to reschedule your advising/registration date, please call the admissions office at 616-331-2025 or 800-748-0246.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
CCPS Undergraduate Advising Center Staff
Page last modified February 20, 2014