College of Community & Public Service Advising Center
RU Ready? - Things To Do
In order to make the most of your advising appointment, we highly recommend preparing ahead of time. Here is a short list of things you can do to make the most of your time with your advisor:
1. Print and review the myPath Tool available in myBanner. This tool gives you a detailed breakdown of graduation, general education, and declared major requirements to help you better understand how your previous, current, and future coursework fits into your academic plan. You and your advisor will also review this document together during your appointment. You can find detailed instructions for how to generate your myPath report at How Do I Run a myPath Degree Progress Report?
2. Take a look at resource materials, including the General Education Handbook, the Undergraduate Catalog (note: be sure to select the catalog that matches your entrance year to GVSU)and major checklists and worksheets. You may want to pay special attention to major and degree requirements that are not yet satisfied on your degree progress report so you are familiar with them or can ask questions if you are unclear.
3. Write down 2 or 3 questions or goals you'd like to accomplish during your appointment. Be an active participant in the advising process. Seek your advisor's advice and recommendations about courses, course sequencing, campus resources, and the rest. Your advisor is there to assist you in your choices, but remember that the final decision is yours.
4. Create a tentative schedule or plan for yourself. Think about your work schedule and other responsibilities. Be prepared to discuss what kind of course load you want to take on and if you have special scheduling issues or needs.
5. Be on time! If you have an appointment scheduled, make sure you are on time. You might even want to show up early if possible. Also, know where you are going ahead of time. If you are late we may ask you to reschedule your appointment so the next student isn’t kept waiting.
Our main location is in 218C DeVos Center on the Pew/Grand Rapids campus. (Pew Campus Directions/Map). You should check in with the front desk staff upon your arrival.
You may also be scheduled in our Allendale location on the 3rd floor of Building B in Mackinac Hall. You can check in for your Allendale appointment in the HTM Department office located in B-3-226 MAK. (Allendale Campus Directions/Map; MAK Building Map).
6. Take notes! During your advising session you should take notes and keep copies of all documents you receive so that you are reminded about what was discussed during your session (e.g., referral, next steps, etc.). Consider creating an “advising file” that you bring back to your next appointment!
Page last modified January 14, 2011