Individual Career Exploration Appointments
College students often struggle with deciding on a career path and choosing a major. Questions addressed in these appointments often include:
- You are having trouble choosing a major.
- You are looking for resources to investigate careers.
- You feel anxious or unsure about career planning.
- You want to explore career testing options with a counselor.
- You are unsure of how to apply your major to a career.
- You are interested in graduate school.
The Career Center offers a variety of tests to assist students with exploring their personality, interests, and values and to determine how these relate to potential majors and careers. Focus 2 is a great assessment to get started with, can be taken online, and is free.
If you think more thorough information is needed, try these:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Strong Interest Inventory Test
- StrengthsQuest (Clifton Strengths Finder)
- Additional tests available upon request.
Testing fees, listed below, cover any combination of tests.
- GVSU Enrolled Undergraduate Students: $30
- GVSU Enrolled Graduate Student: $30
- GVSU Faculty and Staff: Contact Human Resources
- GVSU Student Enrolled in US 102: Cost of tests included in tuition
Preparation for secondary or competitive admit programs* should include a Parallel Plan. Parallel planning appointments can be scheduled through the Career Center. At these sessions, we will help students research alternative career pathways that align with their educational background and personal interests.
*Programs requiring secondary or competitive admission: healthcare, engineering, business, education, graduate and professional schools.
US 102 Career Exploration Course
This one-credit course is designed for students who are:
- Undecided about their major
- Deciding between multiple majors
In this course you will:
- Take career assessments that explore personality, interests, skills, values, strengths and link the results to different major/career opportunities
- Explore resources to help with researching majors/careers
- Find ways to test out your career interests and strengths
- Connect with valuable on-campus resources to help you explore your career